March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cherry's doesn't seem to be in any hurry to reply to my email about returning the thing. It was very polite and professional, too...

I am increasingly unimpressed with this outfit. I suppose I've been spoiled by GunBroker, where all the sellers are held accountable by the ratings/feedback system. It's easy to forget how some people can be, when they can get away with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the condition you've described, I'd sure opt for return; as there are certainly better examples out there worthy of restoration. I didn't return my Grade O gun in spite of the fact that it was broken because it was honestly described up front, bores were excellent, stocks were sound with very good original checkering, had pretty good Damascus barrel pattern remaining, and the gun had no rust. I was extremely fortunate to locate replacement parts needed for repair! These are actually well made high quality guns and were expensive items in the day; too bad so many have been abused.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have number 35 Hollenbeck drilling and also number 236 Hollenbeck drilling , Number 35 was passed down in my family since it was purchased in 1902 by my great great grandfather, and number 236 from Cherrys, to use as parts in the future. I am now obsessed with both of them, they are finicky old girls, you have to treat them right, but if you do, they hit hard and strong and are very good for hunting! I was very happy with Cherrys, they were honest, efficient and did the best they could, I think their mistake with you was an honest one, by my experience. My purchase from Cherrys is the same as yours :12 gauge 32-40 Winchester , the action was a bit loose, with some temporary Jerry rigging its now tight, with some help from a gifted young gunSmith, Daniel Resmondo, in Robertsdale Alabama, and some new little Springs for the firing pins, which would not retract, did that myself, and a Picatinny rail placed exactly where my German pivot mount will go,when I get it installed, same pivot mount I have on Hollenbeck drilling number 35, I can safely shoot sub 1 inch 3 shot groups consistently at 100 yards with the .32-40 Winchester,unbelievably accurate, my other thread on this forum shows my hand load, I have asked Daniel Resmondo to weigh in on these gunsmithing questions because both of my Hollenbecks had some internal part problems that he fixed , but I remain obsessed with them, and plan to continue to hunt with them!
I would like a little bit of advice from the group, where can I get some low pressure 12 gauge shells for coyote, maybe number two shot or maybe number 4 buckshot, RST does great but number five is the largest they have!
Please dont give up, stay with this American finicky old drilling and hunt alot with her! Dont be afraid to put some optics on your drilling if youre like me, Im too old for iron sights. As you said, what do you have to lose, shes not that worth that much anyway! At least not worth much on the open market, theyre invaluable to me!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I dunno, I'd keep it if there was *something* not poor about it, but.... The stock is a replacement, the bores are poor, and the mechanics are screwed up.

It's just too far gone to be worth fixing up, and I am afraid to shoot it as-is. With the mechanical bits screwed up, it's not even valuable as a parts gun for my 12/.30-30 Hollenbeck. frown

It was advertised specifically as "decent mechanics" while all the others in the same price bracket were listed with various mechanical problems, but "decent mechanics" is very much not the case.

And the loose ribs are way more obvious than it appears in the picture. It's the first thing I noticed when I unwrapped it from the packing material. Originally I'd thought that since the bores were so poor, that if I decided to keep it for a shooter I'd just have some 20ga liners installed. But the rib issues take things into a whole other realm of restoration.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just a little update on this, in the interest of being fair towards Cherry's.

They did finally get back to me about returning the gun, and have been really good about it so far. I'm not making any assumptions until I have the money back in my hand, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have done business with Cherrys for many years. Buying and selling on consignment.

Looked at the Hollenbecks in person when they first listed, assume from a estate. Must have been a hundred 3 barrel guns. Good ones went fast whats left are the passed over guns.

Cherrys staff are experts on Colt Revolvers, other makes they do their best to photograph and describe. Something like a Hollenbeck doubt if many people know much about the guns.

I recommend them highly and have no doubt they will refund.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 06/27/19 08:25 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.