May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, smlekid, bsteele, 2 invisible), 579 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,049
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obviously you have not held #252762.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those who criticize any of the mentioned, including a '48 Chevy, have never owned them. If a Parker doesn't perform on birds, or your Blue Flame Six burns oil, it hasn't been maintained correctly. No one has mentioned a bad car or bird gun on this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, here is my breakdown on the American guns.

LC Smith: Simple design and virtually never shoot loose. Best engraving in higher models than any other. Lefever comes a close second in engraving. Like most sidelocks, the LC tends to crack behind the lock plate. Single trigger LC's have even less wood and less strength. As in all guns, the earlier, the better made. Pre-1913 guns are best. The post 1913 guns are available in two weights but neither is as light as I would prefer. The pre 1913 guns are often available in very light weights which are a superb joy to take upland. Tend to crack behind the tangs like other boxlocks.

Lefever: not to be confused with the butt-ugly Ithica-Lefever (Nitro Special). Another fine gun in higher grades. Has the great design feature of a simple screw which tightens action back on face. Beautiful engraving and unbelievable checkering in higher grades. Design had many iterations and difficult to change parts back and forth. Rather more complicated design. Many guns in fine handling weights.

Fox: In a way, it is a box-lock LC. It was often available in lighter upland weights which is a bonus and has led to folks like MM saying kind things about it. Except for the early guns, the Fox had the worst engraving of any American gun.

Ithica: Available in many types with the Flues being rather weak, and the latter NID being strong. Basically, it was meant to be a cheap gun but with more higher grades available. Frankly, it was a boxy, buttugly gun but quite a good shooter. The higher grades had excellent checkering. NID was long lasting.

Parker: The Parker had one feature which really put it above the others. It was available in many more frame sizes than the others which allowed it to be more ergodynamic for more people. I personally love the 0 frame size for 20 & 16 gauges, but to each his own. Decent checkering and engraving but not a match to LC or Lefever. For some reason, they made the drop extremely deep as a rule.

There were also imported guns such as the Chas Daly Lindner and Sauers. Fine guns.

There were also the imported Brit guns (mainly shotguns only since the Brits never understood rifles), but only the Birmingham guns were of any note.

Last edited by Pete; 09/04/07 05:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not mind owning one made in Bowling Green, OH and stamped 'Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co.'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact that I tried a '48 Chevy and it proved to be junk, and the Chrysler didn't, proves that Chryslers are the FINEST CAR IN THE WORLD. The Chevy just didn't fit me. I'd love to stay and debate this further but I'm off to the publisher so's everyone can buy my opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GregSY, are you sure that Chevy was a 48. It sounds like my 49. However, for a robust pile of heavy metal, how bout a 53. I've always wanted a flat-head six in a Sterlingworth--the perfect gun truck.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I don't need to buy your book! But, this GM man NEEDS your Chrysler, where are them girls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember when Town and Countries were on the road. Even when I was six, I couldn't figure out who was buying them. I am even more in the dark now that I'm 61. My woodie is less a mystery because the original purchaser, The Lovely Linda's uncle, was certified. Lucky for me, he garaged it and drove other vehicles. The 460 is low mileage (with a bad valve guide, unfortunately). That doesn't make it a bad vehicle nor does anyones opinion about a gun they've never owned make it a bad gun. I like Pete's last comment. It was a surprise. At least Pete has owned them all. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe MM was simply repeating the marketing slogan that Fox used. Everybody has their opinion on what is best to them. From reading MM's other writings I don't think he is of the opinion that Fox is the best that ever was or is. Even if he does so what? That said we know for sure Parkers could never be "the best" as they are the buttfugliest classic American double made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's "Town & Country"? Is it that dorky wagon with wooden panels that only guys wearing bow ties drive?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.