May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ducks Rx, KY Jon, Jeremy Pearce, 2 invisible), 619 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,052
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's funny j0ie, is that I think Westley a cut above Scott!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne

Don't know a Brit, that thinks of himself as European.

Yeah, a aviation Fed biz acquaint for the UK has been grumblin over the absorbtion of his job into EU's EASA. All the EU member countries probably feel the same way except Germany who seems to want another empire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"If only we Americans coudve ever learned to properly stock all those great classic SXS's. Thats my only beef with American Classics, almost have to re-learn to shoot for them to perform."

I suppose it could be offered that the American SxS's WERE properly stocked, and it is the American of 2007 who doesn't know what proper is. I could care less what the drop at heel is as long as it is between 2" and 4". My body is at least that adjustable, on demand. Would you buy a 1929 Duesenberg and suggest it should be rebodied for better ergonomics?

Chuck, as for your aversion to Chrysler products....I guess you can lead a horse to water.....!

My point in all this is simple - MacIntosh's opinion is based (by his own words that he owned one Parker) on little data and regardless remains an opinion, not fact. He's carved out a name for hisself and has a fat publishing contract but then so does Rosie O'Donnell and I don't look to her to tell me what's what.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Greg, but is MM's statement an opinion. which may be argued many ways? Or is it true? Does any other action "exceed" the simplicity, reliability or mechanical excellence of a Fox?

There are enough engineers and distinguished doublegun authorities and enthusiasts here to make a declarative yes or no, with evidence to support their claims.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
What's funny j0ie, is that I think Westley a cut above Scott!

Funny thing is you wouldn't know the difference in "a cut above".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno King, but it's all kind of a moot point 60+ years later anyway.

All the Parkers I have work and work well and none have ever broken on me. If another make were more simple or more dependable I guess the value of that is lost on me.

I think guns are generally like cars - if you have a good make and it breaks, it is most often tied to the owner's failure to maintain or use properly. Certain Jaguars excepted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We shouldn't pick on ol Michael too much. A lot of these writers are assigned a topic for an article on some magazine and it might be in an area in which they have no experience. So they might do some research and quote something of someone who was wrong. I think it was in this book that ol Michael gave some disparaging remarks of the LC Smith. Michael also said in another place that the pre-1913 LC's used all imported wood. I replied to him that was true if he considered Pennsylvania American black walnut "imported" wood. Michael said he had read that in an LC pamphlett. Good grief, these were the days of Caveat Emptor. Anyone attending a gun show could see that at least half of the pre-1913 LC used American walnut. But this is simply the problem that arises when you write something on a topic in which you are uninformed. I told Michael he needed to get out more. But this just shows that it is only too easy to use someone elses written words to continue an error which might be some considered the truth eventually. Comments like that on a site like this with all kinds of informed individuals usually gets jumped upon immediately.

The other type of article is the opinion article which is exemplified by this book. It is reminiscent of ol Ed Murdelak's article in the Double Gun Journal on how the Parker is better than sex. Now Michael knows much more about guns than ol Ed who wrote an article so ripe with untruths and errors that it could only be considered comedy. In talking to Ed, it became obvious he wasn't really a gun afficianado rather than a one dimentional Parker enthusiast. He had never even heard of Lindner.

Most posts here are heavily opinion oriented. That is the nature of the beast. Frankly, there are lots of guns out there with which I could call my favorite IF they fit me. The right Parker, LC, Fox, or Lefever or Colt could be my next love. Of course, not a BUNID or BU-21. We have top draw the line SOMEWHERE.

Last edited by Pete; 09/06/07 12:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Pete. I guess I come from the old train of thought that says you don't publish factual statements unless you had the data to back it up. Then again, I used to think what you saw on the new or read in the paper was the truth....

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.