March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#553380 08/26/19 01:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know, I know, Beretta's xtra grain looks bad, but I can't help but notice none of the pores are not filled, is there a way to fill the pores with damaging the xtra grain enhancement?
[img]https://rriddell.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/[/img]

Last edited by RARiddell; 08/26/19 04:17 PM.
RARiddell #553381 08/26/19 02:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall, Beretta's xtra grain is a grain enhancement process that involves chemicals and lasers to impart a fake grain pattern into the wood. Supposedly, the process has some depth into the surface of the wood, unlike typical grain enhancement or faux grain painting processes that are just applied to the surface. But I have no idea how far you could sand safely without cutting into the plain wood underneath.

I'd assume (Guessing here... zero actual experience...) that you could lightly scuff the surface with steel wool or use liquid sandpaper, and then apply coats of a grain filling finish such as polyurethane. Then you would very lightly cut this back between coats until the pores were filled, and then apply a final coat. Of course, this would involve masking the checkering, and very probably re-pointing the checkering to remove any finish that bled under the masking tape, or was damaged by sanding. In pictures of stocks with xtra grain, the fake grain runs through the checkering, so I don't know if the process is done after checkering, or if it goes deep enough that standard checkering doesn't cut through. Or perhaps the checkering is impressed. I also have no idea what Beretta used for a finish, or what kind of top-coating would be compatible with it. Sounds like a lot of uncharted waters here. But certainly someone somewhere will refinish or repair one of these, and learn what works and what doesn't.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

RARiddell #553386 08/26/19 03:47 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Keith! Looks like more detective work is needed on my end!

RARiddell #553646 08/30/19 06:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first thought regarding this would to leave well alone! But that is no help to any one, so I have given it a lot of thought since I read your post. Now to begin with I have never come across this type of stock enhancement and hope I never have the misfortune. though what I will say is I have repaired veneered pieces where the veneer is as thick as a cigarette paper and some wood photograph finishes. So my first piece of advice is no abrasives only the skin of your hand, hand skin is equivalent to what cabinet makers on this side of the pond call 'Crocus Paper' with the next curse grade up called "flour Paper'. Second piece of advice is polyurethane is the kiss of death for gun stocks because it is brittle with no built in flexibility for the wood's movement, it also traps in any water or water vapour that finds its way in the wood. So I would recommend using a restoration type of liquid grain filler ('Restoration' meaning it will not make a permanent change can be reversed leaving the item in the same state it was originally).
A good rag application filler that works well is made from the following dark Bees wax, a few drops of Garnet French polish failing that a good pinch of Garnet Shellac flakes, Methylated spirits. The filler is Hydrated Magnesium Silicate (Talcum Powder) completely non abrasive, to adjust for colour I use Vandyke Brown Artist's oil colour. The mix is sort of experiment yourself but for a start two tablespoon's of Methylated Spirits dissolve a pea size piece of Bees wax in it add ten drops of Garnet French polish then add the Talc to form a Tooth paste type of consistency. Finally I add the colouring. Method is simple, place a little of the filler on a rag and work across the grain spreading the filler then use tour hand to smooth it into the grain. If you apply too much Methylated spirits will remove the excess, leave over night to dry then re apply until the grain is filled finally leave for a week and apply a wax polish for the final finish. The filler can be removed very quickly using Methylated Spirits also the filler hardens with age.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
RARiddell #553682 08/30/19 12:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This won't help, but...

If you stand back 3 feet or so, it will look better!

That said...

I too have refinished guns that I didn't think looked as good "in my hands" as others thought they looked from "across the bench or room". Most came out better and I was pleased with the upgrades. But I've regretted a few attempts too, and should have left well enough alone on those.

If you feel you can refinish it -- and do it well -- then go for it. Good luck!

Old No7

Last edited by Old No7; 08/30/19 12:21 PM.

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
RARiddell #553692 08/30/19 01:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

why not try French polish (mix of shellac and linseed oil, pad rubbed in)

RARiddell #553702 08/30/19 03:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did the linseed oil method, why Beretta uses that method is just perplexing. I got the pores filled and gave it a nice smooth surface. It looks 100 times better than what the put on it!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.