March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave Carrie has posted a highlight reel from the various estates he visited in 2018-2019 and it is worth your time to see. I particularly enjoyed the pheasant doubles. Almost all shots are at extremely long range and way above my skill level!

Carrie Highlight Reel

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't know a pheasant could fly that high.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

He deliberately chooses the most difficult shots, passing up the easy low flyers. Those cartwheel drops are incredible!

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't seem much like any pheasant hunting I've ever seen.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Doesn't seem much like any pheasant hunting I've ever seen.

Nor is it representative of any driven pheasant shooting I've done. What you're seeing there are highly specialized shoots which require the right terrain to put birds that far above the guns, and tailored to shooters who have the right equipment (mostly heavy OU's, much like sporting clays guns) throwing far heavier shot charges (and larger shot) than what is used in a more typical drive. Remember that Lord Ripon shot at least one trio of guns that were all straight cylinder. That's not what you'd want for the birds in that video. And until you've tried the more typical driven shooting--where a 40 yard bird is a "tall" one, and most are in the 20-30 yard range (and can still be missed)--that's not the kind of driven shooting you want to try first.

I've had the pleasure of shooting with a couple very good shots who also pass up easier birds and challenge themselves on the higher ones. But again, we're talking higher as being relative, not so high you can kill them by cutting their oxygen hose!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also remember that bird shooting on video always looks exponentially farther than it is. Having killed, and having seen killed, many doves and crows at extreme ranges I would have to see the shooting in person to be impressed. Video is amazingly deceptive.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Based on the time it takes for the dead birds to fall and the amount of lead the shooter is adding, I have no doubts those birds are "out there aways".

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave has some video on his site where he shows his set up for practice, so that viewers can see that it’s not fake, or staged.

He’s down in a quarry an easy hundred feet below where the manlift is placed, and the manlift is a 100 footer or maybe a 125. The camera is well back from where David is shooting, and the length of time between the puff of smoke from his shotgun and the breaking of the Clay is substantial.

Also, in the comment section on some of his YouTube videos, he points out that the films are edited to show the dramatic kill shots. Because nobody would want to watch his videos if they saw him Firing off a mountain of shells for a 10% ratio of success.

He explains his use of tight jokes, large shot size, huge payloads, to accomplish his goals in a couple of his videos.

The line that he shoots in, is well known on the high bird circuit, and birds are pushed off mountainsides specifically for them. I forget what they’re called, it might be the “Magnificent Seven”, or somesuch.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Curious, as I read that Lord Ripon often used a trio of hammer Purdey 12 bores ( and 2 loaders)-- as to how you determined that those London Bests were straight cylinder bored-- wonder what loads he used- and how it was that he got incomers close enough for a spread load of shot- he also shot hares (rabbits) and red grouse- did he use the same trio of no-choke guns for these as well as on pheasant? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The choking of some of Ripon's guns is noted in various writings about him and his life. Remember, RWTF, that Ripon began keeping his game logs at the age of 15, in 1867--at which time choke boring was still a very new concept. According to Dig Hadoke in his book on hammerguns, Horsley of York (Ripon's "local" gunmaker) made him a pair (probably his first pair) in 1866. Unlikely they would have been choke bored.

And you also need to remember that what you see in the video is not driven shooting in the late 19th-early 20th century. There wasn't the mania for ultra-high birds back then--which require the right kind of terrain (hills, valleys, and trees), which you don't have everywhere. Otherwise there's no reason for the birds to fly that high. And they can be plenty challenging without being that high.

Also worth remembering that cylinder is a different animal than many people assume. While you don't want it if you're pass shooting ducks or geese, it will put 70% of its load in a 30" circle at 25 yards. (And 60% at 30 yards.) Bob Brister points out that it's more efficient at 25 yards than full is at 50 yards. And a 25-30 yard bird is going to be well over the tops of some pretty darned tall trees . . . and offering very sporting chances to the guns standing in line awaiting the birds to be driven over them.

And Ripon had a lot of guns. I don't think anyone could state that they were all cylinder bore . . . but it has been reported that at least one trio of Purdeys was choked that way.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/16/19 06:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.