April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, bigblock, 3 invisible), 468 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,098
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Gunter #554847 09/13/19 08:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder about the 10% or any significant percent of us who'd take up arms against our government. Angel or Devil? San Francisco says the NRA's a terrorist organization and the NRA has sued'em.

The city says the cold dead hands lingo is fighting words, I say hand'em over Mr. and Mrs. America is as well. Maybe the courts will answer the angel or devil question...Geo

craigd #554852 09/13/19 09:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like most people interested in polls, I get a smile when they line-up with my opinions, and a frown when they don't. Seeking smiles, confirmation, no. Facts are more my spice of life.

Like most members, I'm here for information and entertainment, not to push an agenda, as you say. What members say about guns, shooting and their beliefs is interesting to me. I don't ascribe their views to an agenda. .

I learned as a teenager--in newsrooms--to assume nothing when reporting a story or of important issues. I've tried to be moderate and tolerant because I saw those who were useful and successful had those qualities.

You err with assumptions that I don't value the rule of law, that I'm pushing an agenda, that I characterize jihadis as angels and Americans as devils. I believe our great neighbour is witnessing the biggest con job in its history.

An assumption, yes. What difference does it make? Yours or mine? Stardust.

Gunter #554855 09/13/19 10:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an agenda. It involves doing what I'm able to do to protect the 1st and 2nd amendments to the US Constitution, both of which seem to be under attack in America today.

I'll not be easily PC'ed into changing my manner of speech or stop expressing my opinions, and I'll vote as many times as possible to prevent any infringement to my right to bear arms. Take up arms against my government? Nah, probably not, but I'll sure give'em a good cussing til the day I die...Geo

Gunter #554858 09/13/19 10:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry;
Just maybe I understand a bit more about " Christianity" than you do.
Jesus, The Son of God, made it perfectly clear in his word that Christianity was not to be spread by "Force" but by Teaching.
That deal with the Spanish inquisition was by people "Claiming Christianity", but it was "NOT CHRISTIAN".

Give me one good reason why WE should muslims to spread their Doctrine in our Country when they will not "Allow Missionaries in theirs.

Yea, I know, the Constitution. So, why have our courts outlawed any mention of Christianity in public places, yet allowed Muslim things to Flourish.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Gunter #554863 09/13/19 10:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Miller . . . the Muslims who send their daughters to school would point out that neither the Koran nor the sayings of Mohammed include anything saying they shouldn't do that. So . . . to paraphrase what you said . . . those radical Islamists like the Taliban are claiming Islam, but it's not Islam.

And I somehow doubt that Islam is going to win many converts in our country. The only significant increase will come from immigrants. But we show our belief in freedom of religion by allowing those of any faith to proselytize in this country.

The founding fathers were intelligent enough to keep religion out of the public sphere (via the First Amendment) while protecting it in the private sphere. Maybe you can give me an example of verses from the Koran being posted in a government building while verses from the Bible are banned. Matter of fact, I worked in a government building, and walked right by a verse from the Bible every day: "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32. Right in plain sight, in the lobby of the CIA Headquarters. Have you heard that they had to remove it???

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/13/19 11:09 AM.
Geo. Newbern #554864 09/13/19 11:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can the courts settle these things, Geo? Law represents the will of the people. Without the will, we're back to "the dead letter of the law."

Clearly, the NRA is not a terrorist organization. Publics may disagree with it as we seem to do with everything else but saying it doesn't make it so.

One of the most difficult issues with reporting, whether in the Deep South of the 60s or overseas today, is determining who are the good guys and bad guys.

You indicate accurately there's a lot of in-between.

Gunter #554866 09/13/19 11:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry;
First I have not mentioned anything about girls & schools, that was someone else.

Our Constitution stated we would have "No Mandated" religion (my words) nothing else. A lot of our forefathers were fleeing England & The Continent to get away from mandated religion of the Catholic Church &/or The Church of England/Anglican/Episcopalian.

When I was in school we had a daily Bible Reading, that is no longer allowed. This was NOT Unconstitutional in spite of liberal court rulings. I do not know about everywhere, but I do know in TN no teacher is allowed to read from the Bible, but courses are taught on Islam. IF one is supposed to violate the constitution, why does not the other??

Many years ago I bought a copy of the Koran & read it. Mostly ramblings of a "MAD MAN". I think I still have it somewhere, but cannot just lay my hands on it without a search. So at present, I cannot cite Book, Chapter & Verse, or however it is arranged, do not recall exactly now. I do know for a fact that Mahammad promoted "Violence" to "Force" other religions to become Muslims.

This type of action is "NOT" a part of true Christianity.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Gunter #554901 09/13/19 05:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, apparently you're missing the point I'm making. You're talking about the radicals preaching true Islam. Using the example of the Taliban, which prohibits girls from going to school (which they in fact do most places in the Muslim world, including conservative nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran), my point is: that action is NOT part of true Islam.

And whether it was true Christianity or not, it didn't make too much difference to the Jews who fled Spain during the Inquisition when given the choice of conversion or death. It was the Catholic church of Spain. Fortunately for some of them, Morocco was only a short boat ride away. And before long, both Catholics--and later Protestants--were holding witch trials. None of which is "true Christianity" as I understand it. Nor was it--in much more recent times--when Irish Catholics and Protestants killed each other. Nor when Orthodox Serbs and Catholic Croats killed each other in the former Yugoslavia. But all of that looks a whole lot like Muslims killing each other because they're not "true Muslims", doesn't it? Even though the Koran expressly prohibits killing brother Muslims. The way they get around that: get the local mullah to declare that the Muslims they want to kill are guilty of apostasy. So they're not true Muslims.

As for your Bible reading, we didn't have any of that when I was in school. Although there was a Bible Club with a faculty sponsor that met after school. Teaching a course on religion, I'm sure, would pass muster if it were to include both Christianity and Islam, as well as other religions. The difference comes when it's an attempt to indoctrinate someone into a particular religion. That's the business of schools run by various religious orders, not of public schools.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/13/19 05:07 PM.
King Brown #554902 09/13/19 05:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aaah yesss- oh-mighty King of Da North. Stardust- written in 1928 at Indiana U by Hoagy Carmichael, lyrics by his frat brother Mitchell Parrish- a Classic- like the movie "Casablanca" Thanks for mentioning it in your post--Foxy

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Geo. Newbern #554952 09/14/19 05:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Cold, dead hands= fightin' words- right spot on- no one, even Wayne LaPierre or Lt. Col. "Olly" North fought harder than the late Charlton Heston did for our 2nd amendment rights to own and bear arms-in defense of: ourselves, our families, our Country. Too bad we couldn't have him as an actor turned POTUS- like Ronnie Reagan only with a Winchester in his live, warm hands. RWTF..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.