March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 2 invisible), 367 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

The Reilly 16 bore SN 5512 discussed in this line is back home.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...1767#Post551767
Steve took the bore plugs out, drilled out the rusted nipples and installed modern nipples, tightened up the loose left side hammer, test fired it and left everything else alone. I've decided not to mess with the Patina.

Pitting in the chambers but still plenty of metal around.

Old/New Nipples:
[/URL
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57895_740x768/]

Now I'm headed out to test fire it myself intending to limit the load to 70 grains of powder with 1 oz load of 7.5 lead shot maximum. Generally following the rule of thumb on this chart:

But I haven't fired a muzzle loader in 38 years. So have I got this stack right?

1 - powder - 70 gains
2 - 1/8" card;
3 - fiber wad - soaked in crisco
4 - shot - 1 oz
5 - overshot card.

Do the beveled edge of the fiber wad go towards breech or muzzle (I first suspected muzzle to insure sealing - but it might go towards the powder to insure ease of ramming it home?)

Last edited by Argo44; 09/13/19 01:45 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

The beveled edge goes in first (toward the powder), it is beveled to make it easier to load.

That said, I find that the fiber wads blow a hole in my pattern. I've tried cutting them in half, which was much better, in thirds, which also works. The I tried skipping the damned fiber wad, and that seemed to work best. My experience does not seem to be unusual.

Otherwise, your load looks like a good hunting load, and should be very effective to 25, maybe 30, yards. I haven't found any black powder loads that are effective further than that. I was much happier when I stopped trying. For phaesant, I tend to use 6's, but I've certainly dropped them dead with 7.5's at that range.

Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks...I'm going to shoot some sporting clays first. My son is groaning, "Dad, how long will I have to wait for you to load?" I reply, "Ah, the sun comes up and sets but is always warm"; "Thorns are part of life"; "Water, clouds and cold make beautiful snow"; "To dawdle before flowers is not a delay in life".... (some sort of made up Zen philosophy always works).

Last edited by Argo44; 09/12/19 08:15 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have (somewhere) a copy of Vernon Starr's book on muzzle loading shotguns. I do recall he recommended for best patterns to use two cad wads over the powder with no filler wad & then of course the overshot wad. On thing he recommended which I, Personally, would not advise was to "Pucker Up & Spit" down the bore before loading.

An old "Rule of Thumb" for many shooters of ML'ing shotguns is an equal measure {volume} for shot & powder. A 2 1/2 dram 1 oz load is about as near dead on as one will get. Commercial powders are,or at least used to be, given a volume of 0.115 CuIn per dram of powder & 0.288 CuIn for the shot. I can't say for positive but I "Think" this was based on an average of 2F & 3F so either would be real close. The shot I think was based on ordinary chilled lead of about 7 1/2 size. #6 through #8 would also be very close.

PS; The fiber wads I have had over the years did not have that distinctive beveled edge. I always just picked them up & paid no attention to which end was up or down.

Lorne;
One little Blooper there you might want to edit, should read 70 "Grains" of powder. I haven't run the figures but I believe 70 "Drams" would overflow the barrel

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beveled edge....I heard it all now.

Shewwwww

Originally Posted By: Argo44

Pitting in the chambers but still plenty of metal around.

Tell your son to stand behind you when you set off those nAsty sewer pipes.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 09/13/19 07:01 AM. Reason: Ps...did I see a cOck'e roach peeking out of one of those caverns ?
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For the first two shots I recommend a hefty overload. I used to strap the guns in an old tire after loading one barrel and pull trigger with a long cord. Repeat for second barrel. Just gave me a little peace of mind before taking the guns afield. For example on a lightweight 10 ga I would use 6 dr. black and 2 oz shot with normal wadding.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heavy overloads are not wonderful for the stock and may create problems that it didn't have to begin with. I do something a bit less drastic perhaps.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once read some advice concerning old guns. I do not recall the source but the writer seemed well versed in his topic. I have come to adopt his method.

Start with a quite light load & work your way up. After each level of load examine the gun carefully, paying attention to the exterior. Look for any signs of "Soot" showing leakage through the wall. If that is encountered "Hang it on the Wall".

I would agree with Hal's load as a good ending point. If it passes that then I would use ordinary light loads & shoot & enjoy it. Do take extreme care in cleaning so those pits don't grow worse.

My personal opinion is that the Dangers involved due to dissimilar metals being joined by fusion welding has been Grossly Exaggerated. In the case of these barrels, the two metals do not just Butt up against each other but are fused together & this does not appear to me to be a major problem, or even a problem at all.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks Miller. It's been shot with 1 1/4 oz loads and 2 3/4 drams of powder. I plan to shoot max 1 oz loads and 70 grains of powder.

I've been persuaded to try the "Skychief's load."...very interesting posts on Muzzleloadersforum and it makes sense, especially out of my old bores.
-- 68 grains of FFg powder (pyrodex FS equivalent since I have no idea what is the old powder in my powder flask)
-- 1/8" card
-- 1 oz 7.5 lead shot
-- 1 overshot card
-- Fiber wad rolled in canola oil.

I'll start out with 3/4 oz - 55 grains; then go up to 7/8 oz - 62 grains....and will examine the barrels as you suggested after each shot. Thanks for the help...exactly the kind of support I was looking for from Tennessee.

I edited the blooper about 70 "drams"...or course I meant "grains". Oh well...they recommended I start with a heavy load and I always wanted to see if blackpowder could take out the Hoover Dam.

Gene

Last edited by Argo44; 09/13/19 01:47 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I split my fiber wads in half. Works best for me. It is all trial and error as far as I can tell. What ever works for you is fine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.