March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers so I'll offer mine.

The component order I used, which I copied from men like MV Highsmith and others, was as follows.

Powder, one or two thin nitro cards, cushion wad, thin nitro card, shot, then the over shot thin card.

The 1/8" cards are harder to get down while the two thin cards are much easier. You need a thin card between the cushion and the shot so shot won't stick in the cushion.

I hope this helps.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Frank, this is the last time I'll respond to you, because trying to talk to morons or monkeys never ends well – Neither understands; both just throw shite and bananas. But I feel sorry for you and in a friendly way, would like to suggest you get help.

You see, without socializaton, one degerates into an ill-tempered, mean, vicious, hateful, solitary, lonely old man. I thought about suggesting church – most congregations are inclusive. But it’d require you finding your Sunday clothes – I think you hung them on the peg on the back of your tar-paper shack by the outhouse about 15 years ago…should be ok if the hogs haven’t got them. But then there are shoes.. No matter - Jesus only had sandals.

So j0e find somebody you can talk to..even if it’s over the usual bottle of shine. Because if you continue to communicate only with turkeys.... you turn into one.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/22/19 01:23 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And for you guys who have helped. I now have about 6 recipes to try and am really looking forward to this. Thanks for everything. I'l do some serious research and publish what I come up with using this gun.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/14/19 09:34 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal;
I probably didn't make myself clear. A lot of muzzleloader rifle shooters use Spit Patches when loading for immediate use. They claim better accuracy but is doubtful that it is a good practice on a hunting gun which may be loaded in the morning & perhaps not shot all day.

The part I would not do is to lean my head over a loaded shotgun & spit down the bore, even if it is not capped. I'm not an accurate enough ""Spitter" to keep my head a safe distance away & hit the bores with spit.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

No reason to feel any sorrow for me I'm not the guy with a muzzle loader with sewer pipes for barrels acting like an arogant pompous azz...

Here's some food for thought...

How deep you figure those cavities go...looks pretty ruff to me...once fired how you figure you'll ever hope to clean the corrosion out of those deep cavities. (You can't)

Better get that thinking cap on O'Reilly bOy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Hal;
I probably didn't make myself clear. A lot of muzzleloader rifle shooters use Spit Patches when loading for immediate use. They claim better accuracy but is doubtful that it is a good practice on a hunting gun which may be loaded in the morning & perhaps not shot all day.

The part I would not do is to lean my head over a loaded shotgun & spit down the bore, even if it is not capped. I'm not an accurate enough ""Spitter" to keep my head a safe distance away & hit the bores with spit.

The patch lubricant of choice for over twenty years has been "Teflon" coated pillow ticking. It is bought by shooters already coated on one side with the greenish "Teflon" substance. However, the material is stiff, from not having the sizing ever washed out of it after it was woven. This inherent stiffness leads to problems with wrinkles as the ball/patch is seated into the muzzle. I found that dampening the other side of the patch on my tongue softens the sizing in the cloth and allows the patch to stretch better, giving much less chance of having a bad wrinkle on the ball/patch. A bad wrinkle can cause a shot to go out of the group.

All this is for those seeking the ultimate accuracy out of a roundball barrel, not necessarily for hunting purposes. Spitting down bore is for movies, not useful in any way. Blowing down the bore immediately after the shot has been taken is a useful way to verify that the nipple or touch hole is open, by observing the puff of smoke that comes out of it when you blow. I prefer not to do so, however, with the idea that if that habit became too ingrained I might one day forget and do so with a double, which may have the other barrel still loaded.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]No reason to feel any sorrow for me I'm not the guy with a muzzle loader with sewer pipes for barrels acting like an arogant pompous azz...

No you are the pompous ass that who looks like a sewer pipe himself.

And why ARE you always such a pompous ass, Frank?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
I only have one ML rifle which I built around 50 years ago. I used s Douglas .45 cal barrel which has grooves of about .010", per side. Pillow ticking is my normal patch material. I make sure it is All Cotton & have not used any of the Teflon coated. I just buy a length at the fabric store, put it through 1 or sometimes 2 wash cycles before using. I have wet the patches on my tongue, but only when I was planning on shooting immediately. When I carried it hunting I always used some other form of lubricant.

As I said my problem was not with the Spit itself, but putting my head over the muzzle of a loaded gun barrel. Many are think when you remove the cap from a caplock gun it is totally Safe, Not So. Some years back a third cousin of mine took our G-Grandfather's ML rifle to school on the school bus for Show & Tell. Family lore has it he had carried this rifle for at least part of "The War" even though it was a hunting rifle. While on the way to school she was holding it between her legs pointed Up, & casually cocked the hammer & pulled the trigger. The result was she put a hole through the roof of the Bus. It was un-capped & who knows how long it had been loaded. Our G-Grandfather had died in the late 1890s, Can't say if it was used after that or not.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 10 gauge Manton about 10 years ago. I used to fire 12 gauge loads through it (3 drams BP and 1-1/8 oz shot) and used the gun on pen-raised pheasants that were released at the nearby state-run pheasant hunting concession. To “safety test” the gun when I first used it:

I removed the barrels and loaded each barrel with a double powder charge of 6 drams and 1-1/8 oz shot (the kind of mistake that’s easy to make in the field).

I next took the old beat-up percussion nipples (that I’d replaced) and drilled out the centers enough to stick a Black Cat firecracker fuse in and then I screwed them back into the guns breeches.

I finally strapped the barrels tightly to a sawhorse and fired them individually with the firecracker fuses while I stood safely behind a tree (stick the fuses in individually so that sparks from one don’t light the other).

Both barrels came through the test just fine.

Steve

PS when you load your first barrel with the standard load that you plan to use slide the ramroad down the barrel to the top of the load and mark the ramroad with a marking pen so that you can view it every time you reload.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I said nothing about rifles or spitting down barrels. I chewed the over powder wads up for a few seconds before loading. The only parts of my body in front of those muzzles were a couple fingers.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.