May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,082 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DmColonial, thanks so much for the word on the gauge. As I near the end of a complete disassembly and cleaning, I was able to take an accurate measurement of the barrels and they are indeed 11ga.

Hope to post some final pictures as well as a couple of interesting finds as a result of the thorough cleaning.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ShowMeSon
Is this gun of the period that it could have come west in the late 1860's?

Most definitely

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ShowMeSon
DmColonial, thanks so much for the word on the gauge. As I near the end of a complete disassembly and cleaning, I was able to take an accurate measurement of the barrels and they are indeed 11ga.

Hope to post some final pictures as well as a couple of interesting “finds” as a result of the thorough cleaning.

I take it you didn't find a loaded charge in either bore during cleaning? I just acquired a double barrel muzzleloader last week. Low and behold the right barrel had a charge of what looked like #7 shot in it. Ya never know and can never be too safe!!

Last edited by gunsaholic; 12/20/19 04:13 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, guns, for the heads up. Miller & Jon had warned me of that early in this journey. No, the barrels werent loaded but I did make an interesting discovery in one of them.
Working on pictures now.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The past four months have been very interesting as I've sought to determine if this (what I thought to be) 10ga W Morse & Co muzzleloader was of the period that it could have come west over the arm of my great, great grandfather after the Civil War. With your help I've been able to determine that indeed it is of the correct period. So with that knowledge I decided to do a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning. That process is done and the gun is back together (and in amazing shape.)

The first step was to clean the thick black grime off of the stock. Steve (SKB) was very helpful in sharing his process for doing this. I followed his guidance and after 15-20 scrubbings in some places and then well spaced out steps of raw linseed oil and 0000 steel wool (with a few light touches of 400 grit with raw oil on stubborn spots) the stock was clean and ready for hand rubbed light coats of boiled linseed oil. My goal was not to refinish the stock but to clean and re-oil it.

Before

After

While this rubbing and drying process was going on I began carding the barrels and other metalwork. The rust was so thick in some places that I doubted that I could remove it all but the outcome was more than I'd hoped for. Not only did the rust disappear but some interesting things came to light. On top of the rib I found "LAMINATED STEEL" and under the forearm area where the rust was lighter I was able to get some good pictures of the twist pattern. Thanks to Drew for identifying the pattern and confirming that rather than technically being "laminated steel" as from a "puddling" process these were barrels that were made from bars of iron and steel laid on top of each other.

The barrels were given multiple hot soapy baths (in my gunsmith's soap tank) and this turned out to be a bit of a challenge because of the 43 1/2' length of the barrels with the tang. Near the end of the process an interesting item floated out of one of the barrels.

A 20" stem of oats!

With the carding and cleaning steps completed what I thought initially to be an integrated tang turned out to not be. Miller your suspicions were right. Once the thick rust was gone it was clear that there was a junction line and a few taps of a plastic mallet separated the two.

After many, many strokes with a brush and patches the bores were clean and we were able to take an accurate bore measurement. It is actually an 11ga as DmColonial noticed on the barrel flats.

Earlier this week we were able to finally reach for the Rem oil and reassemble the gun.

Having passed my biblical "three score and ten" it is a special satisfaction at this stage of life to look at my great, great grandfather (that's the only known picture of him in the background) and imagine his thoughts as he survived the civil war and then came to the conclusion that his future lay to the west. And now to know, as best we can, that this firearm was a primary tool in his being successful in those new lands.

Thanks to you all for your interest and for your help along the way. Special thanks to my friend (and gunsmith), Karl Casebeer.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite a well done transformation. Are the bores fit to shoot and, if so, are you going to shoot it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well done! Congratulations on a fine job. It looks "right", not all tarted up.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

guns, the barrels are and the locks are in amazingly good condition. You can see the left nipple is open but damaged and would need to be reworked or replaced. And the right sear would need a little attention as the hammer cocks but doesnt always hold. I may have that work done later but Im not planning to shoot it. It will have a treasured place in our home until it (and the picture) pass to the next generation.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to think you removed all the family history in your resurrection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Sad to think you removed all the family history in your resurrection.

He mostly removed dirt and rust. The family history is still there.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.