May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, Southern Sport, JohnfromUK, dblgnfix, R. Glenz, 1 invisible), 247 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,092
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#628967 04/20/23 04:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

“Bamboo rods are like really good whiskeys or vinyl records. People who think they’re better and worth the money should get them. And people who don’t shouldn’t.”
John Gierach

With the perceived decline of (or is it the increased) interest in double guns I’ve been thinking about this quote and wondering how much it may apply to doubles. (BTW Gierach has plenty of both.)

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/21/23 02:02 PM.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

IMO, his quote is pretty much spot on. There are things of interest to me that I will spend, what most might call, stupid money on. I still look for a good deal on them, however, not wanting to get "upside down".

I know what you mean by "the decline in interest in double guns", but with the prices some auction houses are realizing for them I'm beginning to wonder about that, so called, decline in interest. FWIW, I've had what is considered to be the best in whiskey, and have owned lots of vinyl LPs and 45s. I spend my money on neither, so I guess I'm in the group he calls "people who don’t". grin

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: John Roberts, Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

''ve gotGierach'smbook
"Trout Bum" in my library-great read, his nomadic lifestye brings to mind Bodio's writings on how much $ he has spent inj his gun trading search for the "perfect" shotgun. Ainj't no such thing-- But my all-time favorite one fly rod for trout- my pre-fire Leonard 49- 7&1/2ft.- 3/2 for 5 wt. with LHW Bogdan Trout reel-- for steelhead- My Payne 3/2 for 7 wt. Hardy Perfect LHW- 8&1/2 ft. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 04/21/23 12:11 PM. Reason: dims for Jim Payne rod

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had the pleasure to read most of John Geirach's books and look forward to his latest release. More a book of fishing philosophy than instructive methods but always give food for though and makes me think; 'Yes, I might try that.' As for cane rods; I must admit to a liking for them. Fortunately they are not too expensive on the second hand market here in the U.K. Lagopus.....

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I question the decline in double issue too. I have bid on a lot of guns over the last few years, and there is no doubt in my mind that prices are rising steadily on old doubles. Maybe the increases in new ones are driving that. The number of bids in online auctions for individual items also seems to be increasing.

I keep a close watch on GunBroker particular and have noticed that over the last 6 months in particular, the numbe of collectible doubles has been declining in every auction cycle. Their normal total sales listings has been at 800-1000 every two weeks, but tha number of old doubles of any kind has dropped to the point there is little of any interest to bid on. I haven't bid on anything in the last two cycles which is unbelievable compared to the past.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The cane rods sort of relate to modern rods like driving a vintage car relates to driving one of today's. It is more than just the performance that counts in the enjoyment. In the same way, the vintage guns I shoot ad something to the experience that modern guns cannot.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience in selling cane rods has been "buy low, sell high." Wish I could say the same on some doubles I've bought over the years...Gil

AGS #629009 04/21/23 01:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AGS
I keep a close watch on GunBroker particular and have noticed that over the last 6 months in particular, the numbe of collectible doubles has been declining in every auction cycle.

I’ve noticed the same thing in the narrow niche of guns that I watch for but was not sure across the wider double gun market here in the states. Yet, when Daniel Cote ceased publication of the DGJ last year he mentioned the “diminishing interest in classic guns,” and “…young people of today are not nearly so interested in classics guns…” as one of his two reasons for closing down the Journal (the other being rising material and labor costs). As a counter to that the Jan. ‘22 Field and Stream article on Mike Jensen”s double gun room in Kansas City stated, “It may come as a surprise that many of Jensen’s customers aren’t aging collectors, but younger hunters in their 30s and 40s, with the millennial’s taste for the artisanal and the handmade.”

So, I’m left scratching my head and accordingly, have slightly edited the original post to reflect that.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS: Selling cane right now isn't all that easy either. Especially the better blue-collar stuff, and....you can include reels on that list too. What used to be a very fluid market just isn't anymore. Fishermen seem to go broke first for some reason?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/21/23 02:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW-Logo-- the late Ernest Hemingway favored Hardy rods and reels, over American cane rod offerings, especially in the 1930's, when with 2nd. wife's family wealth behind him, he had Uncle Gus Pfeiffer finance his deep sea 39ft Wheeler boat, named "The Pilar" and used Hardy rods and Vom Hofe salt water reels on it..Pictures of him trout fishing in Idaho's Silver Creek, also the Harriman "Railroad Ranch" section of the Henry's Fork also show him using a Hardy Rod and a Hardy Perfect fly reel. I'm not going to state that Hardy tackle of that era was any "better" Than: Leonard, Payne, Thomas, Gillum, Garrison, Wright&McGill, R.L. Winston, Heddon or Garrison.. The serious American fly fisherman of the pre-WW2 era had many offerings available to him in quality cane rods--Once you have fished for trout with a split cane fly rod, and then fished the same waters with a "chemical fly rod", well it's like hearing Glenn Gould, Canadian piano maestro, play the Bach Goldberg variations on a Steinway or Bosendorfer Grand piano, and then hearing the same played on a whorehouse piano, a la Scott Joplin. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.