May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 206 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,092
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you may be right on the insecticide, but some years ago I talked to an old established Iowa farmer who raised mostly corn. The corn he was now raising , of course, was "Roundup Ready" and was not affected by Roundup. The farmer said that he'd not seen a grasshopper in 4 years. Around my house in Montana,Roundup kills everything I spray. Of course those plants are not genetically changed to Roundup Ready. What plants do you feel are Roundup resistant except for the genetically protected ones ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are weeds that have become Round-up resistant from natural selection.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
....It's a tough thing to feed the world and have perfect gamebird habitat, at the same time.
It's going to be even tougher on wildlife habit, to pump "renewable" fuel into glorified go karts.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve heard the old timers around here say the bushhog has done more to eradicate the bobwhite as anything. Farmer next to me would not allow any cutting before the end of June to allow the turkey poults and young quail to get off the nest.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, there are several grasses and weeds that are only mildly affected by glyphosate. Most still are totally susceptible to it, however (thankfully). I see millions of grasshoppers here each late spring, and farm in a system that relies heavily on glyphosate. Minimum-till and no-till farming requires that the existing vegetation, whether cover crops or natural weed cover, be killed at or prior to planting. I invariably see the largest numbers of grasshoppers where winter weeds have been killed with glyphosate, prior to planting corn, beans or cotton. Glyphosate is the herbicide of choice to do that, with paraquat being a close second. (The use of minimum till and no till has been proven to be much more beneficial to game birds than systems requiring extensive tillage [plowing]).The two herbicides work in entirely different ways. The point I wanted to make is that glyphosate will not kill grasshoppers or any other insect that I am aware of. Grasshoppers need proper habitat, same as any other organism.

Quail are not always finished nesting by the end of June. Weather has a lot to do with that.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, thanks for the good explanation. I have some experience with Roundup and lawn grass. After spraying my 200 yard driveway gravel with Roundup, when putting things away , I walked across the yard to turn off the water hydrant. Six or so days later one could see my tracks in the grass. Dead grass footprints that stayed all summer.

When I was a kid on the farm in Iowa, it looked to me that the oats in the grainery were about 1/3 grasshoppers . We had few pheasants , then, and some thought that because every small farm had livestock, especially hogs, and that everything was eaten up to the fences making it tough on the pheasants and occasional quail. That continued into the 60s when the Soil Bank came in , feedlots came in, and we had pheasants in swarms. Nowadays, actually since approximately the 90s, the pheasants are almost gone, relatively speaking. This is even with the various diverted acres programs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, could you give us a better explanation of your last three sentences. Another point, in Pennsylvania, the change from picking corn to combining it to ground level occurred at a period when pheasants just about disappeared. Is there a connection?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore, in the 60s farms changed. The Soil Bank [diverted acres] came in giving more cover. At the same time, farms got larger, and fewer farms had livestock, as feed lots and hog containment facilities were growing. We still had not started the chemical farming anywhere close to what it became later. Pheasants and some quail thrived in SW Iowa.

In the 90s it was similar to the 60s, except the agricultural chemicals started to become prevalent. Since then the pheasant populations have been a small fraction of what they were 30 years earlier.

I had never thought of the change from pickers to combines, but for sure the combine leaves far less cover and food on the ground.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 08/07/23 11:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Six or so days later one could see my tracks in the grass. Dead grass footprints that stayed all summer.

Don't feel bad, my friend. I once did exactly the same thing. blush

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Daryl, could you give us a better explanation of your last three sentences. Another point, in Pennsylvania, the change from picking corn to combining it to ground level occurred at a period when pheasants just about disappeared. Is there a connection?

That scenario won't fly either, unless pheasants like less cover than more cover. Corn pickers left the shuck on the ear and put the whole ear in the wagon/truck to be hauled to the bins. Combines remove the shuck and cob from the ear, and only the shelled corn kernels are hauled out of the field, leaving the shredded corn shuck and cob on the ground. There is far, far more residue behind a modern combine than behind a corn picker.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.