May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tamid), 142 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,092
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Argo44 #635985 10/01/23 02:57 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
Whitworth didn't patent pressed fluid steel until 1865. It was expensive and the gun trade stayed away from it... yet the patent was extended for 5 years in 1879 and the Whitworth "wheatsheaf" mark became a symbol of quality in the early 1880's. Purdey made his first gun with the steel in 1879 - delivered in 1880. There is no way that barrel is original to the gun. The gun is still beautiful.

Of course it has been sleeved! Who cares? Is this the first English gun anyone has ever seen that has been sleeved?

Good grief, what sleeving has to do with the gun is only part of the history, I guess I don’t see what the urgency is to keep questioning that aspect of the gun’s pedigree…

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
2 members like this: Imperdix, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, to me at least, is that this Daw has survived over 150 years of use with its single cylindrical bolt lock up. There is no complicated Purdey underbolt and no apparent "fitting on the circle". The semi circular cut on the underside probably mates with a transverse pin, but the major locking of the action is via the single bolt. This locking system seems to offer easy manufacture and a more shallow and graceful action. I have seen it on a Belgian Darry hammer gun. I wonder if it was used by other makers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Of course it has been sleeved! Who cares?

I care. I meant nothing defamatory about it having been sleeved, I was just curious as I knew that it was a very early gun to have been made with fluid steel barrels originally. It certainly was not meant by me as a put-down.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Argo44
Whitworth didn't patent pressed fluid steel until 1865. It was expensive and the gun trade stayed away from it... yet the patent was extended for 5 years in 1879 and the Whitworth "wheatsheaf" mark became a symbol of quality in the early 1880's. Purdey made his first gun with the steel in 1879 - delivered in 1880. There is no way that barrel is original to the gun. The gun is still beautiful.

Of course it has been sleeved! Who cares? Is this the first English gun anyone has ever seen that has been sleeved?

Good grief, what sleeving has to do with the gun is only part of the history, I guess I don’t see what the urgency is to keep questioning that aspect of the gun’s pedigree…

Agreed ,I didn`t see need for the questions when you had provided such good quality pics of the gun showing the excellent job done on it ! Better to have it in sound useable order than a wallhanger with scrap barrels .......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone with more than a passing interest in good double guns cares if a gun is sleeved. Who did the work, and the quality of said work are often the only remaining qualifier of whether a “fine, old, gun” remains, a fine old gun.

Best,
Ted

3 members like this: John Roberts, Stanton Hillis, keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“who did the work?” This in NOT Shrapnel’s lovely Daw hammer gun, but the only sleeving job I have seen (other than early Westley Richards sleeving jobs where they emblazoned their name above the Proof House mandated SLEEVED on the exterior of the breeches) that has been signed by the craftsman who did the job.

Note the tiny E.COOKE stamped over the joint.

Once a sleeved gun has changed hands the information as to who did the work is likely to be lost in the mists of time.

The quality, whether replacement or sleeved barrels has to be judged by straightness, striking down , bore finish and liveliness of the re-barrelled gun.

Last edited by Parabola; 10/01/23 10:26 AM.
2 members like this: John Roberts, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

GEORGE H. DAW
A 12-BORE 1862 PATENT 'DAW'S PATENT CENTRAL FIRE' PUSH-FORWARD UNDERLEVER HAMMERGUN, serial no. 237,
circa 1865, 30in. lined nitro damascus barrels (in 2007, slightly loose), the rib engraved 'GEORGE H. DAW'S PATENT CENTRAL FIRE, 57 THREADNEEDLE ST. LONDON. NO. 237.', 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 choke in both, G.H. Daw patent action, patent no. 1594 of 1862, use no. 237, carved percussion fences, elongated topstrap, non-rebounding back-action locks, permanently attached fore-end with horn finial and crosspin release, best bolt acanthus scroll engraving with feathered bordering, bright finish, 14 1/4in. well-figured stock with engraved steel heel and toe plates, weight 7lb. 9oz.

Thanks Stephen: an interesting advertisement. This part of the ad is super interesting. "G.H. Daw patent action, patent no. 1594 of 1862, use no. 237." Apparently Daw stamped a patent use number for his own patent onto his own guns; Wonder is this was the normal arrangement for all patent holders or just Daw? Is there a Daw patent use number on Shrapnel's gun?

And 1/4 chokes in both barrels??? 12 years before choke boring became popularized? Barrels must have been honed. Oh wait - I missed the "slightly loose" "lined barrels" part of the ad. Holt's really should publish photos of the barrel and action flats of their guns.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/01/23 10:04 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover: There are a shocking number of guns out there that do not have the Scott spindle and the Purdy double underbite. Many of them are even well-made guns and some of them are actually English guns of good quality. I know you already know that because, like you, I had this realization myself several years ago. I don't know about you, but it was actually something of an epiphany for me as well. "Good" is evidently not the enemy of "best" in guns either it seems.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/01/23 10:45 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is the series from "Shooting Sportsman"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.