May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 817 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,401
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#645777 04/18/24 12:16 PM
AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recieved the gun I posted the serial number inquiry about. I purchased it on GunBroker and there are many pictures there. The item is listed at:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1033299617

I was pleasently surprised by the condition and it looks better than the pictures. It appears to have been refinished at some point but not recently. Absolutely no mechanical issues. It locks up as tightly as a new gun, perfectly on face and shiny bores. Outside of the visible gouge on the side of the stock, there are no serious flaws. The thing that wasn't listed in the ad was that the gun weighs 8 pounds on the nose. The 26" (exactly) do not appear to have been cut and the bores are shiny with no marks. The gun has proof marks consistent with 1855 to 1875 and there is no sign of reproof. The serial number dates the gun to 1871. The barrel inscription gives the 10 Gt. Castle address even thoughScott didn't use this until 1872.

The barrels were marked in the proof house as 11 gauge and measure exactly .759 in both barrels. My suspicion is that they were honed about 8 or 9 thousandth at one time, but there are no reproof marks, so if so it was done outside the UK. I am not certain of the limit; it may be they didn't require reproof, or they may have used the barrels to save weight and bored them that far when made to get closer to a 10 gauge bore. A tight Brownell's gauge shows the chambers to be exactly 2-5/8" but they will accept a new hull to a depth of 2-7/8".

Barrel walls are .15" at 9" in front of the breech, .12" at the 12" and the thinnest section in either barrel is .045". The barrels are a very attractive pattern of laminate.

The gun is an oddity in some respects since as near as I can tell it is a lightweight 10 gauge upland gun (I consider 8 pounds to be light for a 10 gauge double). The address and serial number would indicate that it was numbered in 1871 but finished in 1872. The address would indicate a grade A or B gun, but the engraving, laminate barrels and back action locks would say C grade. The wood however seems better than that.

The final oddity is that the barrel lug where it extends through the frame is engraved with a tiny note that says: USA Patent Nov 1 1870 with no mention of holder or number. The frame is marked as Scott Patent Action and Purdey Patent Bolt. Since this is the year that Scott started establishing a dealer network in the US, I suspect they filed a patent for their action there and this mark is reference to that.

Anyway, this is the lightest, handiest 10 gauge I have ever picked up and I would love to try some light 1 oz loads on doves or quail with it. Years ago I had a Thompson Center TCR that had a 10 gauge barrel that weighed in the 8 pound range and you didn't want to shoot very many full 10 gauge loads a day in it. Shooting dimensions are not modern, but certainly longer and straighter than most classic shotguns.

2 members like this: 67galaxie, Parabola
AGS #645779 04/18/24 12:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice gun.

Assuming (as looks to be the case) that it was built with 26” barrels, wonder if it was built for jungle use as a shot and ball gun to be handy in thick cover?

AGS #645780 04/18/24 01:09 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

that gun is much earlier than 1890....a quick look at the "other useful information" at the bottom of the page here says 1871. and, while i'm far from expert, i don't think i've ever seen a scott with the adjustable bite that early - i'd suggest looking closely for apun number regarding the adjustment feature.

other than the few scars on the butt stock, the gun looks to be in surprising condition - hope it comes through with shining colors when you get it in hand.

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by graybeardtmm3
that gun is much earlier than 1890....a quick look at the "other useful information" at the bottom of the page here says 1871. and, while i'm far from expert, i don't think i've ever seen a scott with the adjustable bite that early - i'd suggest looking closely for apun number regarding the adjustment feature.

other than the few scars on the butt stock, the gun looks to be in surprising condition - hope it comes through with shining colors when you get it in hand.

best regards,

tom

As I said in the OP, the SN definitely indicates that it was numbered in 1871; however, the Scott history states the Geat Castle address was not used until 1872, and then only for the highest two grades. There is a note that it was also used for special order guns. My take is that it was started in 1871, then finished in 1872 as a special order gun with the lighter weight back action and 11 gauge barrels to save on weight. A close look at the muzzle doesn't show any indication it has been cut or tampered with. The listing for the sale quoted chokes, but I think that was based on the assumption that the bores were true 10 gauge. There is in fact no choke in either barrel. I believe they were built that way. I have one other Scott made in 1871 and it is a high grade single 8 gauge. It surprisingly is also a light for gauge gun (not much info but I did find a reference for their Light Waterfowl line) and weighs just over 9 pounds. It too has no choke and shoots .810 inch balls very well. Many guns of that period were made without choke, since shooters raised on muzzleloaders did not totally trust the concept. I have a number of Parker hammer guns of that period (1869-1975) that are also choke free.

AGS #645835 04/19/24 09:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun, AGS.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 04/20/24 09:29 AM.
AGS #645852 04/20/24 11:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, what a nice Scott! Great condition all the way around, checkering is in amazingly good shape. I don't believe it's ever been redone. A real peach.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/20/24 11:26 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
AGS #645854 04/20/24 11:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the right hammer a replacement? I can’t tell from the pictures.

Nice old gun.

Best,
Ted

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.