May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, 12boreman, Jtplumb, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 242 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,419
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#645972 04/23/24 06:13 AM
HMAK Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Looking for advice and council on my recently acquired 1959 Union Armera M205E (Grulla) 12 gauge,
the 1st picture kind of shows that the barrels are almost same color as the receiver,
2nd pic shows what appears to me a "re blue" drip,
3rd shows a darkened spot, another drip,
4th & 5th pic show muzzle ends - the dark spots on pic 4 are NOT pits,
picture 6 shows a 2" bare spot, it's not a scratch.
I have had the gun looked at by a long-time gunsmith, his comments are: "the barrels inside are pristine, the thickness is in the high 30's, gun is made when they knew how to make guns, fabulous condition, mechanically very clean I just oiled the parts, pins fire almost dead center, I'd shot this all day long"
Ok, gun is in great shape, but I was thinking about have the barrels reblued, more of a cosmetic issue. Should I get them reblued? Possibly getting it Cerakote?

I understand the value of originality but if the barrels have already been reblued in the past then originality already eliminated. do you think the barrels were reblued?
This gun is a keeper for me, so I don't care about resale, it will be my kid's problem. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

M205E
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Drip mark?
Another drip?
Barrel ends
Bare streak

Last edited by HMAK; 04/23/24 06:14 AM.

Best to you each Morning
HMAK #645982 04/23/24 08:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cerakote? Really? And you are asking about originality issues?

Go ahead and blue them. Not particularly a collectible and if it’s a shooter, at some point proper maintenance trumps cult of originality.

Edit to add: I don't in any way mean to slag the gun. Sounds like a really nice one. But that isn't the issue.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/23/24 09:37 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
canvasback #645984 04/23/24 09:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with canvasback about the Cerakote. The blemishes remind me of a blue job carried out in winter(poor) light. The barrels can be de-greased with acetone after disassembly and the barrels re-blued without re-polishing. A couple passes of slow rust bluing, carefully done in good light should do the job, without a lot of time or expense. Polishing is what takes the most time and where the most likelihood of damage lies.
Mike

HMAK #645986 04/23/24 09:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bluing?
I would call that 'patina', the signs of a useful life in the field, many exceptional adventures. Leave it as it is.

You should see the barrels of my 1946 Webley 600 boxlock ...

HB

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
HMAK #645995 04/23/24 10:37 AM
HMAK Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

"Cerakote? Really? And you are asking about originality issues?"
I'm not really even remotely considering Cerakote, just put it out there to see what kind of response I'd get.

My real question is do you think the barrels have already been reblued at some point in their life?

I personally will not be doing the re-blue - if it is done, it will be done correctly - it would be sent off to someone that specializes in re-blueing.

Best to you each Morning
HMAK #645997 04/23/24 10:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want those barrels to look good again and correct, they’ll have to be polished and all of that old blacking removed. Anything else would be half assed. I don’t like putting new rust blacking over old, worn or heavily patina’d blacking. It never blends right, especially when you look at the barrels in good light. Easier to just strip it all off and start with clean bare metal.

Dustin

3 members like this: canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, John Roberts
HMAK #646006 04/23/24 12:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As for your two questions:

“Do you think the barrels were re-blued?” Seems so to me but there are plenty of experts here (starting with Dustin above) who can answer that definitively.

And …

“Should I get them re-blued?” That’s a purely personal question and should have a subjective answer. You didn’t ask if I (we) would re-blue them. And that’s probably just as well as you’d get subjective answers with justifications. And there’s nothing wrong with that. These are our guns. We’re the stewards of them for this chapter of their existence and then they go on to the next fellow. Make yourself happy and in so doing make yourself part of the history of the gun. That’s good…and good enough.

Meanwhile, enjoy your fine gun in good health.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/23/24 01:20 PM.

Speude Bradeos
HMAK #646009 04/23/24 12:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The eye of the beholder!

HMAK #646020 04/23/24 01:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to say if your barrels have been reblued at some point. The streak in pic #2 could have been there all along, and just became more evident as the barrel bluing thinned and wore over time.

I agree completely with Dustin on the need for proper barrel prep, should you decide to reblue them. With this gun, I think it would not hurt the value one bit. It would probably enhance the value. Cerrakote would be a great way to lower the value. So now you need to find someone who can do it right, and your new concerns are shipping both ways without loss or damage.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

HMAK #646026 04/23/24 02:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

for me, it's a matter of "honest wear"....late last year i sold a gibbs underlever hammer 12ga (1879-80 likely) that had been rebarreled with fluid barrels under the 1925-54 proving rules (evidently by the gibbs shop). at some later point, it had been completely "restored", and had been honed (7 thou on the left, and 12 thou on right). it had not been reproved, so my assumption was it had been reworked stateside....the work was professional caliber, the price was fair - i had bought it early last year. shot it a few times with 5500psi reloads...and would characterize the gun as "eye-candy".

i enjoyed having the gun, but had a chance to sell for a couple hundred more than i had paid....and did so without hesitation - the gun simply was not honest enough to capture my long term affection. i appreciate the concept of "sympathic restoration", and am somewhat affronted by the overboard approach of making an old gun look "new".

i have, and have had, a few extremely high condition guns - most of which i am/was loath to carry afield. i would rather have a fine gun that can be used without the attendant nagging fear of a scrape or blemish being added. at the price-point that i live with, i want to consider my guns as finely crafted tools...not as artifacts.

as stated above...knock yer lights out - and enjoy your gun...

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
3 members like this: Ken Nelson, Ted Schefelbein, Karl Graebner

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.