May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Perry M. Kissam, Marks_21, 1574trap, Nitrah, Bret Adams, 1 invisible), 502 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,437
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would question the originality of the 26" barrels. What is the bore diameter and choke constriction? They would add some hints about the originality of those barrels.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
ChiefC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to Lloyd, David, Drew, Jimmy and everyone who contributed to the addition details concerning my LC Smith. Well, I finally dragged her out of the safe and snapped some pictures. Hopefully I am successful in posting them, please let me know if there are any further specific pictures you may need in assessing if the shotgun has been re-blued. In all fairness I did wipe with gun cloth shotgun before snapping pics.

OK, can't figure out how to post the pics, unsure what it means to insert image links (URLs), can someone assist? Ill also research the board on how to do it.

Thanks I think I got it ,,,,, let me know if you can see the pics.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/FKCBawc[/img]

Last edited by ChiefC; 04/21/24 12:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun has been poorly refinished

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The 'case colors' on the sideplates and action are from heating the metal with a torch and using cold blue to produce colors

The barrels, triggers and trigger guard have been blued, likely with hot caustic salts meaning the 2 barrels and ribs will, before long, separate.
The barrels are damascus and it is likely they were cut. A gunsmith could measure the length of the choke constriction to confirm, and you might see a gap between the keels and barrels at the muzzle.

We think 'SD&G' is Schoverling, Dales & Gales; a large sporting goods firm in New York City.

If you can return the gun, do it.

ChiefC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello Drew,

Thanks for the additional information albeit in your opinion not good. Cannot return, so I guess this makes it an awesome shooter. Odd though, this gun came from the estate of a prominent shooter who shot competition and knew his trade. And according to LC Smith.org site research a 1901 was not offered with Damascus barrels until 1907.

Like everything else, will await/seek alternate opinions.
Thanks again,
R,
ChiefC

ChiefC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sorry Eightbore,

Didn't see your input, I am unsure if 26" original or not or if I measured correctly. I simply lowered a measuring tape in the barrels until it bottomed out and I recall a rough measurement of 26". Maybe I'll remeasure, what do you believe they should be?

Oh, I also remember measuring the muzzle bore to confirm the gauge and it was at around 20mm.

Thanks
r,
ChiefC

Last edited by ChiefC; 04/22/24 09:25 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Research Letter would confirm the original specifications, and possibly to where the gun was shipped
https://lcsca.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=43784&module_id=245742

No. 0 was introduced in 1894, initially with Twist but by at least 1898 Good 2 Rod Damascus

1902 Sears catalog

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ChiefC
Sorry Eightbore,

Didn't see your input, I am unsure if 26" original or not or if I measured correctly. I simply lowered a measuring tape in the barrels until it bottomed out and I recall a rough measurement of 26". Maybe I'll remeasure, what do you believe they should be?

Oh, I also remember measuring the muzzle bore to confirm the gauge and it was at around 20mm.

Thanks
r,
ChiefC

They made 216 No. 0" with 26" barrels in 1901 and 1 with 24" barrels.

David

ChiefC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Drew, David, All,

This is an awesome site thank you all for your contributions in narrowing down my assumptions in new LC Smith (both correct and incorrect ones :-)

Drew, my apologies I misread the LC.org writeup on the No.0 by missing the period " Twist Steel barrels were available when it was first offered, but they were changed to Damascus Steel in 1899. Starting in 1907, new London Steel barrels were an option." As mentioned before I was aware of the history letter, but figured it was a bridge Id cross if the shotgun warranted it.

David, wow, the information you mentioned is really helpful "They made 216 No. 0" with 26" barrels in 1901 and 1 with 24" barrels.". I can definitely exclude the 24" barrel and if it is a 26" then it helps the cause. A run of only 216 No.0's is small, wonder if it boosts its collectability.

This is quickly changing my view on purchasing the History letter, let me mull it over a bit and if I do purchase Ill share for visibility.

Thanks again everyone,
R,
ChiefC

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.