May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (azgreg, Der Ami, 1574trap, claydog, 2 invisible), 416 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,790
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JOHN RIGBY 7mm MAUSER - A RARE EXPERIMENTAL BULLPUP or A CUSTOM RIFLE FOR A ONE ARM MAN

I just added this one to my collection. I've always liked the "different" guns, and this one sure fits that definition. I can't wait to get it in hand. I will be contacting John Rigby asking for any information available for this rifle.

As always your comments are most welcome.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/RIGBY-ONE-000.jpg

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the book, Hunting Weapons, by Howard L. Blackmore at plate 138 there is a picture of an almost identically stocked Rigby .303 Mauser made for a one-armed British Officer.

On that example there is a small leather covered cheek rest at the turn of the stock wrist and the “paddle” is leather covered presumably to be held in the armpit by the stump of his arm.

It was then in the Tower of London, but will now be at the Royal Armouries at Leeds where Jonathan Ferguson or Mark Murray-Futter should be able you give more details.

Does yours have a Rigby number on the bottom of the trigger guard?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Parabola,

Could you post that picture of the similar rifle? When I get the rifle in hand I will see if there is a Rigby serial number on the trigger guard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The five digit serial number in the auction ad doesn't seem like a Rigby number. Is it a Mauser serial number?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
The five digit serial number in the auction ad doesn't seem like a Rigby number. Is it a Mauser serial number?

Yes, its a Mauser number - it dates the barrelled action to 1912.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That one looks to be obviously made for one armed use.

For some reason I grew up around a lot of bullpup rifles. In the 60's during my teenage years, quite a few serious groundhog hunters owned them. A high school classmate of mine had a really nice BR gun converted because he went with his dad (the local RDF mail carrier) to hunt groundhogs and it was easy to transport and not have to fool with the trunk. (His uncle was a factory shooter for a while and a gunsmith). Several other people had similar conversions.

Later on, it seemed that I never saw any for sale and finally deduced that they were not nearly as common as I believed. Sort of like the 69 Z-28 with the duel Holley setup. A friend just a few years ahead of me was the son of the local Chevy dealer and would get all his buddies cars at essentially cost. I remember one Friday night at the local drive-in I counted 13 of the dual 4 Z's sitting around. This in a very rural town of 1200 people. It didn't realize until many years later that this was a significant number of the total ever produced.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello AGS,

I've always liked bullpups. I built one in 1975 on an old Stevens 22rf that I sold to a friend.

Here are two more of mine that I currently own. I built the 7mm-08 in 1988, the 222 Rem Mag I purchased last year.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/7mm-08-bullpup-000.jpg

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/222BULLPUP-000.jpg

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,

I had sent pictures of the rifle and a request to Rigby for information about this strange rifle. Today I got a very pleasant reply from the Rigby Historian. Here is what he wrote:

"... 4610 is a Rigby Serial number, It was made on 11th October 1919 for a Major J. D. Venables. ’Stock for one arm’
So, it seems it was made that way by Rigby. ..."

Based on his comment at the end of his report, the Historian seemed surprised that it was indeed made by Rigby.

Here is what I've found about the Major Venables. I can only assume he lost his arm and had the rifle custom built for him by Rigby.
I will continue to research History about the Major.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/venables-record.jpg

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now its official . here is a copy of the Rigby Certificate.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/rigby-cert-1.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good that you now have the full history and provenance.

This is the illustration of the .303 Rigby Mauser from Howard L. Blackmore’s book “Hunting Weapons”.

Last edited by Parabola; 05/01/24 04:14 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.