May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (smlekid, Jimmy W, Jtplumb, gold40, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 235 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,554
Posts546,266
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is there any generality that can be applied to bullet weight and regulation with a sxs double rifle? For example, does a lighter bullet generally change your point of impact higher or lower, or is just a case by case thing?
Thanks
Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bullet weight can have a profound effect on regulation as does velocity. In addition to elevation, bullet weight will effect grouping on the horizontal plane. A lighter than regulated bullet will cause the barrels to cross, while a heavier than regulated bullet will cause the barrels to shoot appart. Understanding this dynamic can help you as you develop a load for a rifle. If you don't know what bullet weight a rifle was regulated for, mark your target for each bullet, R1, L1, R2, L2, etc. A side by side rifle recoils to either side of its center line or to the right and to the left as well as up. If your rifle cross shoots, you can increase bullet weight. What's at work is the length of time the bullet is in the barrel (velocity) to be effected by recoil, and weight of the combined bullet and charge which effects the amount of recoil and thus the relative position of the barrels at the time the bullet leaves the barrel. Seyfried has written a lot about this effect including how it is possible to load a lower velocity, lighter bullet weight load that will theoretically regulate the same as the full power and weight loads.

I would suggest that while heavier bullets generally tend to cause the barrels to shoot further apart than lighter bullets, there are exceptions. For reasons I cannot explain, my German .250-3000 double rifle shoots the 87 grain bullets further apart than the 100 grain bullets and regulates at about a 1-1/2 inch spread at 100 yards with 115 grain bullets. No, the lighter bullets are not cross firing. I checked that.

As I said, I can't explain it, but that's the way this particular double rifle performs.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.