May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (battle, MattH, j7l2, Jusanothajoe, 1 invisible), 411 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,619
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

the worst 458 i ever had was an interarms whitworth. very good looking but only 8# and skinny stock. i couldn't shoot it and i'm not recoil shy. it split the stock on the 3rd round. i added 1.5# lead front and back and glued it back together.

next one was a post 64 m70 which had 22" bbl and only went 8.25#. but the stock was much better and it wasn't unpleasant at all but i agree they need more weight - like 9.5# or so. and 7#-11oz makes my blood run cold. no to mention that, for that weight, the stock must have some pretty low density wood and i'd have concerns about it holding up.

i bought a really good looking stock for a cz 416 rigby and it feels about like balsa. would look fantastic when finished out but i'm afraid it wouldn't hold up under the load.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not saying you guys are wrong but I'd like to know the physics behind how adding 2 lbs. to a gun can tame the recoil when the effect is all tied to a 200lbs man.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It might not tame it but it can make it tolerable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

But why?

If we're looking for mass to oppose the recoil then 2 lbs. is hardly a large fraction of the total mass of the shooter and gun. What's the difference if that 2lbs. is part of the gun or contributed by last night's mutton dinner?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gregsy, you can find the formula for calculating free recoil in one of several reloading handbooks and see that the mass of the rifle opposes the mass of the ejecta. The greater the weight of the rifle the less rearward velocity the rifle achieves and the rate of energy transfer to 200lb man's shoulder is reduced. Also, the 200lb man is not fully behind the gun with his weight, just his shoulder which is something more like 10 to 12 lbs loosely attached to the rest of the weight, so 2 extra lbs is significant in relation to the shoulder's weight. Shoulder moves rearward and the body above and below, having greater inertia, are pretty much folded around the shoulder causing the head to be pulled downward as the scope arrives rearward. This generally results in some pretty good gashes in forehead and nose if the movement is too severe. One of our instructors (a 280lb strong horse type) demonstrated this perfectly with a TC rifle equipped with a .375H&H barrel this past weekend. Took us a while to close up the cuts to forehead and nose.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 02/14/08 07:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Taking it to extremes might help you:

Imagine if you could add 200 pounds to the stock of the gun, then you fired it while it was resting on a bench by simply pulling the trigger - without putting it against your shoulder. The gun probably wouldn't move much, if at all.

Now imagine adding 2 ounces to the stock and doing the same thing - it would jump out of the rests (and onto the ground) just as much as it did before adding the extra 2 ounces.

2 pounds falls somewhere in between - as would the reduction in gun movement upon being fired, or recoil.

The force created by firing a gun is not effected by the shooters weight. Yes, a bigger shooter will be moved less than a smaller one, but the actual force created by firing the gun is the same in each case.

Just my 2 cents - hope this helps.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe we should be wearing jackets with 5 lbs of lead in the shoulder???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adding 5 lbs to the fore-end would actually be more effective...

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

FN Brownings are very valuable and the best large factory rifles ever made, but .458 is only good for elephant, rhino, buffalo and just too much for anything in NA. My CZ 550 Mannlicher 9.3x62 is more than enough for anything on this continent.
Last .458 I examined was early 50s Winchester 'Super Grade', luvly classic rifle, but what to do with that darn caliber?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Up here it would be good medicine on the Brown bears. I had one in the yard back in September. I'm going to Kodiak in April to see if I can find a large one. I'm taking my .338 in stainless and synthetic. I don't think it's a trip for the Browning.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.