March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last Sunday I posted on a nice 1889 Remington hammer gun I picked up, 12 gauge, 32" steel barrels, .028" & .037" chokes, made 1901. I bought it for occasional hunting with a vintage hammer gun. Today we went out on a clays course to check for function.

I thought some of our BBS'rs would like to know my impressions of its design.

All together I only had 60 low pressure shells, mostly smokeless in plastics, and some black powder in papers. The gun worked perfectly, no malfunctions. Its rebounding hammers made opening very easy, no hammer or pin drag. I did have some pierced primers with RST factory shells, none with Remington primed reloads. The RST primers are apparently quite soft and the huge protrusion of the firing pins (.120" of travel) created big craters that pierced once in a while. The Remington primed reloads had much shallower dents, they looked "normal". I know Remington primers are hard but this test really underscores it for me. The drop of the stock took some getting used to, all my clays guns have much higher combs. I started hitting pretty well after 15-20 shots. We had five shooters in the squad and I scored out in the middle of the pack after my 60 rounds. Not too bad for my first shots with a 107 year old gun with tight chokes. One of my friends said the guns I show up with keep getting older and he wouldn't be surprised if I showed up with a blunderbuss next week.

The only thing I didn't like about the 1889 was the short extractor movement, only about 1/4". It took some doing to pick the hulls from the chambers.

All told, it was a good day out with an old timer! Silvers

Standly proudly, move over youngster....

A little smoke out there, who saw what?

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers,
Now all you have to do is take her out hunting. Nothing an old gun likes better then to be put back to work. When I dropped a pheasant with my 1850's vintage Manton percussion SXS you could almost hear the ghosts inside her cheering (at least I could!).
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

great report! My heavens that '89 looks elegant next to the clank-clank!

Happy Easter and Spring, everyone!

Mike Armstrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

great report! My heavens that '89 looks elegant next to the clank-clank!

Happy Easter and Spring, everyone!

Mike Armstrong

Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve and Mike, Happy Easter to you too. Sure, the Remington will be out for spring turkeys in a little over a month. I'll be doing some patterning and will report back later before then. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
DAS Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I noticed that someone earlier had posted that the 1889 really had some recoil even with low pressure loads. I beleive they attributed it to the drop in the stock. Your opinon??

quick to listen/ slow to talk/ slow to anger
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DAS, I didn't notice anything in the way of extra perceived recoil or muzzle flip. The drop at heel is 2-7/8" on my gun. Over the past few weeks I looked at another one that was stocked about like mine, a third one seemed lower just from how it came up. I didn't have my measuring stuff there. There might some variation in how the Remmies were stocked over different production periods or maybe intended game to be hunted. Mine looks like a waterfowl or fox hunting gun? Silvers

DAS Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I assume due to the decarbonized steel, that you load your own shells? If so what type of powder,etc. do you use to keep the pressure within specs? I am considering the purchase of a 16 gauge model 1 and was curious about source of ingrediants.

quick to listen/ slow to talk/ slow to anger
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DAS, actually no, I don't reload my own shotshells. A good friend does it for me and I pay him for his trouble. My 1889 has heavy steel barrels with measured .039 & .040" minimum wall thicknesses. I hope you understand but he doesn't want to share any load recipes on the internet. His advice is to consult a good loading manual for pressures that are within specs for your firearm and considering its present condition. Silvers

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

DAS - 1889s in 16ga are hard to find. If you have found one with good barrels, buy it, you won't regret it. For loads, join the 16 Gauge Group at their website. Cheddite makes 2.5" primed hulls that can be loaded with a variety of recipes, or you can trim your own. RST is a low pressure alternative if you don't wish to reload. I found a 16 1889 grade 2 a couple years ago; the guy who sold it to me thought it was a 12. I called Charles Semmer with a few questions and he indicated that in all his research and experience the 16 was the rarest gauge in that model. Mine is a great dove/clays gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.