Sidelock

Thomas Horsley Bar in Wood in 4 Bore

Cal./Gauge: 4 Bore
Barrel(s): 42 Inches Damascus
Weight: 18 Lbs 15 Ozs Sights/Scope: Concave Rib, Steel Front Bead
Trigger(s): Double
Stock Dimensions: 14 7/8" LOP Over Pad
Butt/Pad: Leather

Thomas Horsley Bar in Wood in 4 Bore. Enormous hammer gun featuring Horsley's patent rear sliding top lever and "withdrawing strikers". Straight grip checkered stock and splinter fore end. 42 Inch damascus barrel inscribed "THOMAS HORSLEY,MAKER,YORK.PATENT. 2410 & 1138." Includes leather bound case with shooting ang cleaning accessories. Top tray of case houses 24 brass 4 bore casings each inscribed with T. Horsley .
Price: $39999.00

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11655

What would one do with a double barrel 4 bore? Would the standard shot charge be four ounces?

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 05/13/08 08:59 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've saw a 4 bore rifle Ken Owens was building....the cartridge is enormous to say the least.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went by and looked at it , It is cased with brass cases,accessories and beautiful. It came out of Africa from a collector and probably used in Africa as it has several hotel etc stickers on it.The Fine gun manager is a friend of mine and we put it together and tried to hold it up. Its a Monster!

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a mess they made of that stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones, Them Olde Wildfowlers out on the Norfolk Fens, used to eat goose-dripping butties for breakfast!!!Washed down with 'Strong Rosie Lee". Marsden(SP)Ale at the Pub for lunch,Then the "Recoil was not even noticed when the trigger was "Squeezed Off" I did it once from a Skiff'with a 'Real Market-Hunter"..Took me Days to recover...Londoners couldn't handle that "Fen-Country"Beer.....cc/dt

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DT that is your second use of "buttie" in the last few days. What is a buttie?

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the thickest leather covered recoil pad I've ever seen. maybe there's a couple Rolls Royce coil springs hiding under the leather. Also noticed the padding on the rear of the trigger guard. Apparently, even at almost 19 lbs., it hit hard on both ends. I recall reading Sir Samuel Baker saying when he shot his 4 bore, it spun him around and knocked him down and gave him a nosebleed and violent headache. Or was that his 2 bore? A guy showed me how he had his .308 Win. ported to reduce recoil a couple weeks ago...geez.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Baker said that about his 2 bore that he called baby. His porters called it child of cannon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Written by a relative describing a farewell dinner in 1878 prior to his departure for what is now Wyoming …..

“We sat late, and our mood was melting though fitfully hilarious. The host toasted my health and well-being, and professed extreme concern as to all those moral and physical dangers which loomed large on my far western horizon. Now he had, he said, a four bore muzzle-loading elephant rifle, carrying four bullets to the pound, would I not accept this as a farewell gift? - the hour was then about 2. a.m. He would feel, he assured me, much happier about me did he at all future times realise that this staunch and trusty weapon was in my hand. So his faithful servitor, Simpson, was sent for, and the elephant rifle was fetched from his quarters in Jermyn Street. The prodigious piece was handed around the room and duly admired; not a guest there but agreed that to confront a whole tribe of Commanches with so truculent a weapon would be almost unfair to the Indians – would indeed, we thought, be hardly sportsmanlike.
For my own part, I was actually maudlin when, the banquet over, the time had arrived to bid so many friends a fond farewell. The rifle, which was a full load for a coolie, I left at Queenstown on the following Sunday, consigned loosely to my friend Tom Hare, who lived adjacent. I never heard of it after."

One of the guns I would love to own!
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think he's talking about the cook Rosie Lee.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.