April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DaveB, fullandfuller, Jem Finch, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack Maloney, my 1907 Avant Tout was factory built with a "crossover" stock designed to be shot from the right shoulder with the left eye aligned with the rib. As with other factory built crossover guns of quality, the metal parts were also bent to align with the bend of the stock. These metal parts include the top tang, the bottom tang, the trigger guard, the side plates both left and right. On some guns, the top lever is bent to match the bend of the top tang and the safety slide is machined on a curve, but my Avant Tout has a standard top lever and safety slide. Cogswell and Harrison advertised the availability of the crossover feature in their catalogs, very unusual for a gunmaker to do. My gun is in carefully field used condition with smoothly worn finishes, but is very well preserved because of good care and 100 years of storage in its original labelled trunk case. It is a classic British game gun at well under seven pounds, straight grip, and 30" barrels of moderate choke. The assisted opening feature is quite user friendly and closes very smoothly with little effort beyond the compression of ejectors, a feature included on many guns the we do not usually think of as "assisted opening" like the Parker and Model 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears that some Coggie models gained (or lost) sideplates at various times. Greg tells me he's seen photos of sideplated Blagdons. I have a photo of a Blagdon from Coggie catalog copy, 60's era, and it's a conventional, non-sideplated boxlock.

Thanks for the description, eightbore! Sounds like a really interesting Coggie - no doubt made in the Gillingham Street Works in London. Have you contacted the modern C&H to get the full history?

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not requested a letter on my gun. The supposed original owner, W. Sebag Montefiore, should be easy picking on Google, if he is mentioned at all. His name is embossed on the case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to remember a higher grade true sidelock that they made.
G&H had an earlier version of one with back action locks a while ago. I believe that particular one had been cleaned up &/or restocked by Kirk Merrington.

Looked nice and handled well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It turns out that the original owner of my gun is not "easy pickings on Google" after all. Two authors of the same surname occupy the first several dozen pages of Google references with no reference to their family tree that I could find. I may have to get a letter on the outside chance that it would include the name that the initial "W" refers to.

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
It appears that some Coggie models gained (or lost) sideplates at various times. Greg tells me he's seen photos of sideplated Blagdons. I have a photo of a Blagdon from Coggie catalog copy, 60's era, and it's a conventional, non-sideplated boxlock.
C&H was noted for building just about anything anyone was willing to pay for. But I'd sure appreciate it if you'd copy that 1960s photo and post it here, Larry. While C&H played fast and loose with model names, the 'Blagdon' model was sideplated in every catalog and example I've seen, and so was the 'Sandhurst.'

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks so much to everyone!! Just a great wealth of information.

You have increased my knowledge base but leaps and bounds!!

Thanks!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, you seem to have some knowledge about the C & H guns. Do you consider them a decent value based on price compared to other London guns? Is it because the guns have a fair amount of their manufacture done by machines that the prices seem so low or is it another reason. I wish I knew more about them. I bought the book but have done little more than thumb through most of it. I got my Avant Tout because I was looking for a solid 16 gauge and the price seemed very reasonable.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve V.....I remember seeing an Extra Quality Victor on Atkins G&L site...seems like that was a fine & beautifully engraved quality SLE Gun...don't think it was a plated BL....is your mates a SLE Gun??
franc

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.