May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Guy Ave, Argo44, AGS), 555 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,506
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At a local gun show I came across two double guns. A rare thing these days. Both were hammer guns and both appeared to be in very good condition. But both upon inspection had suffered from hacks using hammers and punches to tighten them.

The first had the forend hanger punched ten times to try to tighten the forend. Problem was that this was not where the wear was and the punching only made the forend hard to get off an on not tighter once on. Now the wood is loose from the metal and both are still loose on the barrels. A decent repair would have taken an hour now it will take three to fix the repair and the problem.

The second gun was punched on the hook and pin. Why both I will never know. This caused the pin to rotate and you can see it on the action sides. This also caused the gun to open like it had gravel in it. Not done there they punched the dolls head and the receiver. What a mess. Nothing will save this one.

Sad to see a decent gun survive a hundred years only to get hammered to death in ten minutes by an idiot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The bodgers are a sorry bunch - at least this one wasn't smart enough to try to cover his tracks.

One has to be on the lookout for the cunning ones. I've seen too many bowed bolts and spindles, squeezed action bars, JB Weld and such to last me a lifetime. Things that aren't obvious in the sellers' light of a gun show.

This is why I refuse to do a condition report without a complete strip down. If the seller won't agree to that, he can keep it. I will not have a client in for a nasty surprise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Careful, you boys are talking about your buddies.

I'd be more concerned about the guns where the stock has been polished to death. You know the shysters have been on that one.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because someone is in a similar line of business to me, does not make him one of my "buddies".

No one than I know, and consider a friend, does or accepts the kind of things the OP described.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose the repairs might have been done on a bench in some barn 80 years ago. Maybe not.
More than likely, it shot loose, and the repair cost quoted sent them back to the barn. $20.00 shotguns have slowly blossomed into $350.00 scrappers. A little rub-a-dub, and voila! You have a rare collectible.
I see hundreds of polished scrap guns a year. Somebody polishes them I presume to make a buck moving them on.

I'd take 50 honest junkers for 1 polished scrap gun.

That the brotherhood of gun peddlers make a market in polished junk with hidden problems bugs me. Sort of smacks of dishonesty.

Kentucky Jon can choose to work on it, or not. At least he can see what was done.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

hammers and punches in skilled hands can be economical and durable fixes for loose gun problems...to condemn the use of ancient hand tools for loose gun repair is sorta unrealistic. often peening and punching is the only cost effective solution to fixing minor gun problems...and please be aware that i do not speak from my own experience or skill level...

watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXbrmmiSngw

Last edited by ed good; 10/05/15 03:51 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nobody is condemning the use of ancient hand tools in the act of repairing a loose gun. Those are my primary choice for tools.

It is the manner with which they are wielded, particularly in regard to fashioning a durable repair, that is the problem.

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed your "repair" is no real repair. Just a jack leg way to make a minor problem worse. Better to cut a beer can into a shim. At least then you get to drink the beer and it will put most off face guns fairly close to being back on face. Your "repair" is like the old transmission repair of adding sawdust to a failing transmission. Might last a few days but makes a real repair almost impossible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

may i repeat, " hammers and punches in skilled hands....

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Please define "skilled" for us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.