May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jeremy Pearce, SKB), 226 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Boy oh Boy- the term: "Caveat Empetor" sure rings true-- This past week-end Son-In-Law Jeff and I visited an area gun show-- On one dealer's table was a 20 gauge M1912 with the tag- Winchester M12- 20 gauge Skeet model- rare-- $1850-- I asked the gent behind the table if I could "take a look" and he said: OK-- Winchester didn't offer the WS-1 and WS-2 skeet chokes until the mid-1930's-- Any Model 12, whether 12-16- or 20 gauge that is stamped M1912 will be an early series, as WRA changed the roll stamping pattern from M1912 to M12 about 1919- This gun had a 4 digit SN.,. Nickel steel barrel marking, and marked Full Choke--and of course, the shorter 2&1/2" chambering:

It was reblued, re-stocked with a Bishop "target grade" buttstock, buttplate and forearm- checkering fair- wood to metal fit did NOT show the "Proud to the steel" that Madis details in his book on the "Perfect Repeater"--

It also had a Cutts Comp. with a spreader tube, front and mid-bead sights on a later styled Simmonds VR-- No "duckbill" ext. and the other clue to me about the gun's vintage was the absence of the milled out groover on the top of the receiver--

A Williams large headed style safety was featured on this "re-worked" M12-- I handed it back to the gent, shook my head, and walked away-

But- does anyone here know of a place that still carries tubes for the Cutts Compensators- ditto the wrenches? RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/16/19 02:23 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 01/16/19 05:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can find them on EBay all the time.

Sad to see what is passed off as factory in model 12s. Vast majority of the 28s did not start out life as 28. Cutts were very popular when I was a kid. Most model 12 had stocks which were nothing to write home about. Upgrades on model 12 just seem to be everywhere. Either the sellers dont know what they have , they choose to think its factory or they just dont care how original it is. They want rare money for average, tired stuff. Ive seen reworked guns being passed off as high grade, rare guns when the serial numbers alone tells you it is not original. Buyer beware might be better said dont be gullible and stupid.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nothing- I would rather French kiss Monica Lewinski than have a Cutts on any of my prized Model 12's-- ditto the POLLY-WOLLY-DIDDLE-ALL-DAY CHOKES EITHER- &^%$#$% STEAM WHISTLES,as an old time skeet shooter would grumble, as a dude with a so equipped shotgun stepped out onto the skeet field--

But somehow, I have a "as new" Lyman Cutts .410 Full Choke tube- perfect blueing, threads-- etc. And I see that Corson has one for sale at $100.00. Thanks for the tip--

Sidelock
Sidelock

smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

ya know, I never saw a duck hunter drop a poly choke in the water changing chokes.........;>

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No sale here- the "9 guns in one" ads for those Poly_Chokes--must have been created by bitter wives who didn't want their husbands owning more than one gun--
-
I prefer my M12's for water-fowling with Full chokes, or Imp. Mod. Even with today;s steel load, I like the confidence building sight of a big flight mallard or a big Canada tumbling "ass over teakettle" with a wad of feathers hanging in the air- No- sail offs"--

I only own one shotgun with choke tubes, a Mossenberger 835 Ulti-Mag, and I use the mod. tube in it for waterfowling, and the full tube for turkey hunting, and Winter coyotes.. Once I thread in a tube in that "evil black shotgun"it stays there, I would never carry extra tubes and the wrench into a duck marsh-never.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.