Originally Posted By: Ironman5
... CC are strong, wood is definitely a couple steps up from any I've seen in pictures of market guns. Lots of figure, round knob, very nice checkering and both the forearm and stock all carry the matching serial #940. Barrel is 36" and the bore is almost perfect. I'm looking for some direction on where to look for info on a gun like this. Is it appropriate for discussion here even though it only has one barrel? If so, I'll try to add some pictures later.

Also did H&A keep good production records? Thanks in advance.

Congrats on a very nice gun. Hopkins and Allen start shortly after the Civil War. They started producing guns for Merwin, Hulbert & Company and basically owned the XL trade name.

Their primary output seems to have been pistols. In the 1890's they were producing a single shot of falling block design. The top lever did not appear in their single shot line until about 1900. According to Carder they often produced limited production guns and did not list many of their own guns in their catalogs. It would appear this is one of those limited production guns.

In any event, this one should date between 1900 and 1914. I would lean towards an early dating because of the twist damascus barrels.

Many guns attributed to Crescent or Stevens as hardware store guns were in fact produced by H&A.

Pete