Miller-

I understand the density issues with black powder across the range of makers and grades. It's good you posted your comments to the thread though. My interest is to satisfy a specific curiosity.
It would appear that the density of various breeds of black powder has some relationship with power.

I'd love to have a moment with this measure and others like it.
Just enough time to pour/strike/weigh a charge of today's Goex FFg powder -- it would be even better to have a couple vintage rifles *with* their measures to do this comparison with -- to load them with Goex to hit to the regulated sights, then weigh that Goex charge against the volume of Goex metered through the 'regulated' measure.

That would definitely be an interesting little exercise.
Really, there are so many variables here.
Cartridge case, primer, and wad column - lube and bullet alloy - even stock fit can affect 'the load' for a double rifle.

Note these H&H case labels.

Also note this Kavanaugh label.

Although the bore rifles tend to have relatively broad latitude in the load, everything counts and it's important to keep it all in the picture.

Can't go back in time - but with some things we can compare what we have now with what's left over from 'way back when'...

Cheers
Tinker