Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Recoil per se doesn't exist within the gun since the barrels and stock are locked to the action.

Wear to the hinge pin/hook during firing can occur from battering or relative movement. Battering occurs where there is a bit of off-face so the hook gets a run at the hinge pin. Any strain movement between the hook and pin will result in surface grinding. The action will bend slightly during firing and this changes the position of the hook relative to the pin; maybe only a fraction of a degree, but enough that there is movement. Clean, high pressure lube will minimize metal to metal contact and fine particle grinding, but can't completely eliminate it. Tight on-face, along with hard surfaces on the pin and hook minimize battering.

Let me know if that is not clear.

I am also having trouble reconciling those statements. First no recoil then where does the battering come from? Just how does that happen and how is it pressure related since recoil is generated as per Newtons 3d law of motion and no matter how you calculate it pressure plays no direct part in producing recoil?

For your information or a reminder the following is the formula for calculating recoil:

E= 1/2(Wr/32)(WbxMv+4700xWp/7000xWr) squared

E= energy in foot pounds
Wr= weight of gun in pounds
Wb= weight of whot and wad
Mv= muzzle velocity in fps
Wp= weight of powder in grains

You will plainly see there is no element called pressure.

Lastly in your reply to Larry brown you state "Larry, I edited to set my comments apart in red. Also, yes, I went further into wear to locking parts and attributed this to pressure rather than recoil."

How does pressure which is totally contained withing the chamber and barrel act of the locking parts without any direct contact?

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 08/06/09 05:30 PM.