Originally Posted By: Rocketman

If not, then it's CHAMBER PRESSURE and NOT RECOIL that causes the pin and hook to be battered? Yes, it is. Clear as mud. Any better? If you need additional explaination, let me know.

Thanks, but I don't think you could explain it so I can agree.

Recoil is the movement of the gun, which is the sum of its parts. And it is recoil of these independent parts that accelerates wear on both wooden and metal parts.

Many posters seem to readily accept that it's the recoiling barrel/action assembly as a unit which traverses a few thousandths gap and slams into the immovable object, which is the stock head and imparts damage to the wood.

Yet these same posters cannot accept the fact that it is the recoiling frame being thrust backwards over a few thousandths gap and slamming into the immovable object, which is the hook welded to the barrels, that imparts damage to those metal parts.

Pressure is a necessary condition for the generation of recoil, but is insufficient for quantifying it. And while high pressure without recoil can wear/fatigue/rupture the chamber, it cannot induce greater wear on moving parts (hinge/pin/stock head) except to the extent that it imparts higher recoil energy to those parts.

I can't explain it better than that.