Quote Lary Brown;
Quote:
Miller, I didn't say that the Super-X was the first 2 3/4" shell.

Quote:
The creation of SAAMI came about at a very critical moment in the history of shotguns and shotshells in this country. In 1926, the new Super-X was just hitting the market. That shell was longer (2 3/4" vs 2 5/8") than the old standard 12ga chamber, and hotter than the then-standard 12ga loads. So . . . we start with the fact that there weren't even any common proof and service pressure standards for the old 2 5/8" guns and ammo; add to that a longer, hotter load. (Ithaca had even switched to a newer, stronger design for its doubles--the NID--to deal with the newer, hotter loads.) It's at that point that the arms and ammo makers get together and say "OK, this proof level and service pressure are reasonable for 2 5/8" 12ga guns; these higher levels for 2 3/4" guns."

I do humbly appoligize for mis-interpreting what you were attempting to say. I now have absolutely no idea what you in fact did say. It is well to note that if the pressure was increased by 500psi as you quote Curtis as saying that represents about a 4.5% increase in pressure. On the other hand velocity of a 1¼oz load was increased by about 9% (1220 to 1330). Yet you want to say this 9% increase in force which the shell head puts upon the standing breech is totally of no significance, only the 4½% pressure increase. My personal advice to you is to stick to discussing models, grades, values etc etc of various shotguns of which you are extremely knowledgable. Leave the ballistics to someone else. I generally try to just ignore any ballistic statements you make, but I was in this discussion before you were so had little choice, as I do feel these matters need to be addressed.

Last edited by 2-piper; 08/09/09 11:37 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra