Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Originally Posted By: Rocketman

If not, then it's CHAMBER PRESSURE and NOT RECOIL that causes the pin and hook to be battered? Yes, it is. Clear as mud. Any better? If you need additional explaination, let me know.

Thanks, but I don't think you could explain it so I can agree. Maybe not, but I'll take another shot at it. If not, then we will simply have to disagree.

Recoil is the movement of the gun, which is the sum of its parts. And it is recoil of these independent parts that accelerates wear on both wooden and metal parts. Don't agree. Wood is subject to recoil retardation forces and the metal is subject ot pressure containment forces.

Many posters seem to readily accept that it's the recoiling barrel/action assembly as a unit which traverses a few thousandths gap and slams into the immovable object, which is the stock head and imparts damage to the wood. The "immovability" of the stock would depend on its weight (force required to acclerated it) and the ridgidity of the shooter (or other stopping device). "Slams" would depend on the difference in velocity at point where the wood-to-metal joint was fully closed. If there is no shooter/stopping device, there is very little recoil force on the stock head. We don't especially care how far or fast the gun recoils. We care very much in this discussion about the force between the frame and stock head when the recoil is retarded.

Yet these same posters cannot accept the fact that it is the recoiling frame being thrust backwards over a few thousandths gap and slamming into the immovable object, which is the hook welded to the barrels, that imparts damage to those metal parts. I do not agree as the forces within the action are due to containment of the pressure created upon firing, not due to the gun recoiling. Note that these forces within the action are the same whether the gun is free to recoil or is retarded in recoil movement; the grinding and batteering between hook and pin and between bolts and bites take place in the same amount whereas the stock head force is largely dependant on recoil movement retardation.

Pressure is a necessary condition for the generation of (velocity of the ejecta which leads to) recoil, but is insufficient for quantifying it. And while high pressure without recoil can wear/fatigue/rupture the chamber, it cannot induce greater wear on moving parts (hinge/pin/stock head) except to the extent that it imparts higher recoil energy to those parts. Absolutely disagree. The forces withing the action upon firing are the same whether the gun is free to recoil or is retarded. Pressure containment forces are different from forces generated due to retardation of recoil movement.

I can't explain it better than that.

My world will not end if we disagree, but I'm willing to answer questions and continue to discuss.

Last edited by Rocketman; 08/10/09 11:02 AM.