justin, I use Mobil #28 grease on hinge pin/hook, bolts/bites, lump sides, exposed lever work, and FA attach mechanism. Apply sparingly, clean, and refresh after each shooting session. "Clean" is likely as important as characteristics of the lube. I'd shoot with recent application of 3 in 1 Oil without qualms, but not after extended storage and no refresh. Oil is fine for short times, but wax and grease are better for long term. Modern, high pressure lubes are cheap and available, so why not use them. If I were Mr. Gunmaker Smith, I'd probably use Vasoline to limit my personal skin exposure to trace elements that might be in more exotic lubes, but I don't worry about that with occasional, shooter type handling.

I keep my loads to less than 7500 psi and usually shoot 7/8 oz (12 bore). There is no "point" of sudden sear increase - think a curve (it takes something pretty severe to blow-up a gun unless it has a seriously weak spot) only the more you strain 'em the faster they wear. Also, being on the --- ahemmmm, well, OK, call what it is, cheap side, I like to save powder, lead and gun wear by shooting light, low pressure loads. I do not see, speaking of me, load performance issues near as much as I see shooter issues.