Geno:
You know there weren't any quality Sauer examples after 1904, don't you???? No, I think it had something to do with hand effort vs. mechanization regarding craftsmanship. Sometime between 1900 & WWI, or 1912, Sauer may have switched to different marks noting the different processes because they had to due to the fact that less and less hand-work was being performed and more and more machine work enabled them to keep their prices lower. Components arrived in a state closer to the end result. Less handwork/effort on a tube for instance would bring the cost down and choices were slim because they had the process streamlined. Id guess it would take 30 days to fill an order and if you wanted a different tube length, the price would increase 10 - 15% as would a higher grade to tube steel probably by 50 - 100 marks. I'd also say an increase, or decrease, in LOP or stock would net you a 10% increase. If you wanted a sub gauge smaller than 20 a 10 - 15% price increase was added. When mechanization really took ahold, Sauer had production down to a science and anything outside of their configuration slowed or halted production. When Sauer would sub a longarm to say one of the Merkel folks, they would ask/request that the parts be had made. I really don't think the request was met?

Let's see that Meisterwerk.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse