Bobby,

I gotta confess, I've seen the Dembart oil in Brownells catalog, but never tried it. And I agree about the grips....I like 'em all, but if I had 6 shotguns, one would be a round knob, one would have a straight grip and the other 4 would look like the first gun!

Joe,
I don't know what an English oil finish is or I might like it too. We all have different tastes and mine is no more "right" than anyone elses. My main point is...IF you like something less than high gloss, and IF you're gonna do it yourself, and IF you're a little frustrated with trying to rub the shine off, and IF one of these lusters appeal to you, then I can vouch for how easy it is to get these results with this product. At any given time I've got a dozen or so guns I've stocked myself and 2-3 projects in the works and no 2 are ever finished exactly the same way. I WISH I had a standard process to guarantee success, but I'm still working on it. I'm always studying the finishes on custom guns and I've seen dozens I really like, but I don't know how the stocker accomplished it.

I'm not trying to sell anything here and I'd sure love to hear how others finish their stocks, especially with pics.

Chuck,

"Does the Waterlox Original Satin Oil Finish have urethanes at all? Or is that only in the other Waterlox Oil-Modified Urethane?"

Unless you're using pure, boiled linseed oil (I don't recommend it) or 100% tung oil (I've never tried it and I'm not about to)or something that says explicitly "polyurethane" on the can, then you're using a blend of drying oil and urethanes or phenolic rsins. So ,yes, the Waterlox original satin oil is a blend of resins and tung oil, just like many other products, but it's THEIR proprietary blend that makes it unique. Like Pepsi and Coke...the same, but different.

Finish jargon (resins, urethanes, drying oils, varnishes,evaporation, oxidation, polymerization, shellacs, lacquers, epoxies, etc) means one thing to a finish chemist and something else to the consumer; can be pretty confusing.Try making sense of this....

https://www.waterlox.com/Portals/Documents/0a70f60c-5ba1-43d2-a33e-257a149476cf.pdf

I think for our purpose we should treat the Original Satin Oil as another gunstock finish and the Oil-Modified Urethane as something to shy away from.

regards, Mike