Originally Posted By: Gnomon

....The American dream is still alive and well, it's just that it's a ball-buster as it always was and always will be...

So which is it. Don't you hammer away that good paying jobs have dried up and likely to never return. Reasonable story about educating your boy. Did you encourage him or complain constantly that getting a good education is a 'ball-buster'.

I can't help but remember the stories about the first families kids, and your boys', school back in chicago. Since you brought up sports, they have a 'no cut' policy. Any student that wants to participate in any sport can play without qualification. Is that the concept you have in mind, waves of engineers who're entitled to well paying jobs regardless of qualification.

When one of these engineers designs a ditch, who's gonna dig it and do they have a right to feel like they busted their balls. When we're all engineers, which one you going to assign to make lattes for the rest at the corner coffee shop. I'm glad you didn't impress your glass is half empty nonsense on your boy in his formative years.

I think everyone should bust their balls best they can, and then push a little farther in what ever occupation they choose. My recognizing that the entitlement mentality discourages effort, is your hate the poor prejudicial class warfare mantra. Trouble with honest engineers, they can run the numbers. Seems like you want gov. engineers, because the real ones have to protect your financial bottom line in a capitalist country.