Originally Posted By: RyanF
Some of you misunderstand foreign engineering students. They dont outclass Americans. They are cheap and easy to control.

The human resource desires of corporations have been allowed to shape national education and immigration policy. CEO's want cheap skilled labor and the government delivers. It is manipulation of the labor market. Surprisingly (or not) liberals cant grasp this. When you love multiculturalism

If there really were a shortage of engineers, starting salaries would increase. Starting salaries have been long flat when adjusted for inflation.

Imagine the leverage one has as the sponsoring employer of an H1-B status foreign worker. You dont like the job? Smell you later and enjoy the flight home to Pakistan [censored].

The simple fact that politicians say we need more engineers should cause everyone to suspect we really dont.

ryan - fascinating post. I didn't know pols were saying we needed more engineers.

"CEO's want cheap skilled labor and the government delivers. It is manipulation of the labor market. Surprisingly (or not) liberals cant grasp this. When you love multiculturalism"

I'm perfectly willing to believe this because all markets are manipulated and industry has bought the gov't. It has nothing to do with your concept of multiculturalism. The bottom line seems (to me) to be that Americans don't want to put in the really hard work to do EE at MIT or ME at CalTech.

Altho I'm not an engineer I'm on several boards and this flies contrary to what I've heard so I will specifically ask about these points.

Now let me pose this query to you: If you are correct and the gov't is keeping engineering wages down, isn't that good? Doesn't that make us more competitive?

If WalMart wages can be kept down by subsidizing their workers with food stamps and teacher pay be kept down by breaking unions, why shouldn't engineer salaries be held down by importing foreign labor?