Originally Posted By: topgun

The LCSCA has a copy of the Cody/Marlin shipping records; and seldom (I've not seen an example, but observe the never say never policy) are such details noted in the shipping ledger pages. For the most part all that is contained within those records are serial number, gauge, barrel length, grade, inspector initial, and ship date. After 1918 the ledgers were modified to include frame type (standard or feather weight) and factory code designations to indicate the factory options each gun was ordered and shipped with; ejectors (prior to 1918, Smith guns with factory installed auto ejectors were identified by serial number block), Hunter One Trigger, beavertail, vent rib, etc).

topgun:

I've received some very good detailed information from the Cody staff over the years on the 30 or so L.C. Smith letters that I've received.....some better than others of course, but usually had the basic information as on the pictured Cody letters below as a minimum.......

You're probably right about the chamber details in the factory ledgers, but like you said, "never say never"...?....

I think Cody uses more than just the "shipping ledgers" for their factory letter composition, I believe they also have some factory manufacturing records that came from William S. Brophy's famous dumpster diving records retrieval back when he was the Senior Technical Advisor at the Marlin Factory......

Quote from William Brophy's "L.C. Smith Shotguns" book, The Gun Room Press 1st printing 1977............."Brophy happened by the old L.C. Smith workshop portion of the Marlin Factory as workmen were emptying the contents of old cabinets into the trash bin....Aware of the existence of the old records, curiosity led Brophy to examine the documents slated for destruction......They were the ENTIRE set of PRODUCTION and SHIPPING records from all the old L.C. Smith companies".........

Of course, the records were saved and their reconstruction led to the creation of William S. Brophy's L.C. Smith Shotgun book......

I also have some older Factory letters that I received directly from William S. Brophy at Marlin before Cody or anybody else had any L.C. Smith or Marlin records......William Brophy was quite congenial and friendly towards sportsmen and gun owners regarding factory letters on L.C. Smiths and Antique Marlin rifles, I think he enjoyed his job ......there was NO charge back in those days when the Kenna family owned it all.......

Doug