Hi all

Well I see my gauge design did spark off some conversation.
Bilious you think it is a Manson Gauge now I wonder how that can be because of the following.

1 My gauge is designed to work in the horizontal suspended position only.
2 The gauge weighs approximately 20 ounces.
3 Only one adjustment needed after assembly. You have to be constantly adjusting a Manson gauge from barrel to barrel.
4 It is 13 inches long
5 It is 4 inches wide.
6 It will fit in our pocket.
7 It will only measure accurately 9 inches from the breach face
8 It is not always necessary to break the gun down and remove the barrels for measuring.

Now as the Manson gauge comes in a convenient Large wooden box which would cost more than my gauge takes to make. And of course it works in the vertical position only. Also the gauge arm for the smaller bores is a fixture to the gauge. It also weighs a considerable amount more and not all that convenient for taking and using at gun sales or auctions. And lets be honest it does not slip conveniently in to your coat pocket now does it. Also you have to break the gun down to measure the barrels with a Manson. You may like to try that at some time with a $11307 value gun with the owner watching you because they always think you are going to drop them!!!!!!!!!!
And Bilious to quote your good self It only costs $30 out the door To make!
Finally I would like to say that accurate measuring tools have been made since that nice French man William Gascogne invented the Micrometer so in many ways test gauges look and work on very similar lines, my gauge is just a different take on an extremely old theme.

I will wait for more comments and see how much interest there is in going forward with how to make it before posting the how you do it.

Damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!