Now we come to the gauges outer arm holding the dial indicator, in fact this is not difficult to make but in all honesty it does entail some lengthy work with a file and hacksaw. But there is always a but isnt there, from a pure functionality stand point you have no need to do any further work other than drilling and threading the mounting hole at one end and making the clamp fitting with the dial indicator mounting hole at the other.
I think a little explanation is required here, this gauge is the end result of a considerable amount of trial and error over many years so what you see is the shortest strongest most accurate and above all the lightest usable version of the gauge to date, well who really wants to walk around all day with the weight of a battle ship in their pocket. To reduce the overall weight of the gauge further without compromising its rigidity I came up with the simple form of weight removal that you can see, the two holes and two holes sloted design but there are many others that could be used. It looks aesthetically pleasing (well to me it does) easily accomplished but as I have already said some work with a file and hacksaw is required though most of the work is just drilling holes and it can just stay at that just drilling the holes. Now I will post pictures on how I went about making this arm it might just help in your construction.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!