Lots of talk and photos of "Spanish Best" stuff on the board of late, so, I thought I'd post a photo of the single Spanish gun in my collection, and the reason it is there.

This is a "Falcon" built by Ugartechea in 1972. It was specified with 3" chambers, tight chokes (not anymore, they are about CYL/IC) hidden third fastener, and disc set strikers. I bought it to have a double when I was hunting in rough weather, or with a friends unruly Labradors, who have broken the wrists of two shotguns in the time I have known them, and lifted their leg and watered two others, none of them my guns (I know what to expect with his dogs) or when I was forced to use non-toxic shot, which, is mostly steel, in my world. The stock had a broken toe when I got it that had been repaired, and I had it bent over left, without any of the thoughts of resale that would go with doing that to a higher grade gun. I had a new recoil pad fitted to replace the spiffy "White Line" that was installed back in the day-nobody ever went broke underestimating American tastes, after all.
I use it as a traveler, also. The little tool box has spare strikers, and a tool for them, and a few other maintenance items in it, and fits in the K & K aluminum case, which, is Lab proof. I also have the duffle with the bottom compartment the case fits in, and it has been to Europe and South America, over the years.

I have a gun that is even lower rung than this, but, it isn't a double, and gets loaned out or used for trap more than anything else. I hate beating up anything that costs a bunch of money. A few years back, guns just like this were all over the auction sites at sub $500 price levels, something that seems to have changed these days.

This is why I have a Spanish gun. Most of my hunting is rougher than rough, and if it rains or snows on the day I have set aside to go, I still go-hunting days are scheduled and precious. I feed it anything I want, and I don't worry too much about the ramifications of that. If I lost it on a trip, I'd be bummed, but, not all that concerned and not out much money. I've actually given thought to having a tube put in the left barrel, but, the gun works just fine, for birds, just the way it is.

Best,
Ted