Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
....Hey....you're the one who's saying the lead ban was based on junk science. Up to YOU to look at the studies and come up with with peer-reviewed proof that it WAS junk science. Otherwise you're just blowing hot air....

Hey Larry, I've had it all wrong. I thought you were fighting a lead ban in the uplands? That's not happening is it? You have nothing to worry about, any lead ban in the uplands would be based on good science. I could see how silly it would be for me to try to dig up peer reviewed science, when it couldn't be good.

And hey, thanks for your helpful idea.

Not a question of trying to dig up peer reviewed science about the impact of lead on upland birds, Craig. There's no "junk science" supporting restrictions on lead in the uplands, for the simple reason that there's NO science--junk or otherwise--establishing that ingesting lead is a problem for upland birds. Those who are suggesting further lead bans for upland hunting are basing their proposals on conjecture, not science. (With the exception of a study or two on lead shot and doves in very heavily-hunted locations, which is more akin to waterfowl hunting in terms of exposure than to upland hunting.) From the MN DNR's Nontoxic Shot Advisory Committee: "The issues are extremely complex and conclusive data on wildlife populations is lacking." From the WI Natural Resources Board's proposal to ban lead shot on all DNR-managed lands: "Because wildlife affected by lead toxicity tend to seek isolation and protective cover, they may not be readily apparent . . . Chronic losses with carcasses removed by scavengers (who may be secondarily poisoned themselves) make lead poisoning somewhat of an 'invisible disease.'" (Sounds a lot like invisible science to me!) From MT Fish, Wildlife and Parks: "Lead presence and accumulation under extremely low levels of lead shot use has not been established as a significant environmental concern." (Sounds like they're saying that there isn't any science.)

Peer reviewed science on lead shot and waterfowl: Doubt you'll have any trouble finding plenty of that. Review away and refute away if you so desire.

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/01/16 09:34 AM.