Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Having spoken to a few folks with computer expertise way beyond mine . . . if you think using a nom de net gives you much in the way of protection, you need to think again.

Not much privacy but It at least keeps a Google search of your legal name from pulling up your posts on this site and other sites. Do you want clients, colleagues, and collaborators knowing about your hobbies and opinions? I think not. They will Google you.

It’s a personal decision based on individual circumstances. I know a friend’s gun rights blog has contributed to him losing work.

Some people dislike hunters and some people fear and loathe gun owners. Occasionally we have to work for these people, and for various reasons these people can occasionally have some real influence on our careers. Doxing is a real thing. The HR department is also not your friend.

Scolding someone you don’t know to use their real name seems a bit patronizing to me.

Some online anonymity makes us meaner and also less credible. Does it really matter what an anonymous person thinks?

PS. I like the term “shitlib” better than “libtard”. Doesn’t insult the disabled. Glad to help smile

Last edited by RyanF; 09/22/16 05:59 PM.