Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
In my opinion, the New Testament is the antithesis of those quotes from the Koran that keith posted.

I often read articles where Obama and the liberal media tell us that the terrorists and ISIS aren't following the Koran. But those verses that keith quoted are in the Koran. Until they tell me why those Muslim terrorists aren't following the Koran when they murder Jews and Christians for being Jews and Christians I think they are full of it. That stuff is in the Koran. Those Muslim apologists need to give an explanation of why those verses are being incorrectly applied by ISIS.

Mike, you can find a lot of contradictory verses in the Koran. And some Muslim scholars will explain that these verses take precedence; other Muslim scholars will say otherwise.

Here's something interesting: Just this past January, "hundreds of Muslim scholars and intellectuals" gathered in Marrakesh, Morocco--the result of which was the Marrakesh Declaration. The declaration begins by referring to the current situation in the Muslim world, which " . . . enabled criminal groups to issue edicts attributed to Islam, but which, in fact, alarmingly distort its fundamental principles and goals . . . " Pretty much a direct shot at ISIS and AQ.

What people have to remember about Islam is that it is a non-hierarchical religion. (Especially true of Sunni Islam.) There is no pope, no cardinals, bishops, etc. Any imam can issue a "fatwa" (religious declaration). However, the authority and power of that fatwa is only determined by however many Muslims respond to it by crying "Allah u Akbar!" and following the guidance it spells out. Otherwise it's meaningless. And that quote from the Marrakesh Declaration shows that there's no shortage of Muslim scholars who don't agree with what ISIS and AQ are preaching.

Another example: The Taliban has preached that girls are not to be educated. Yet there are more women attending university in both Iran and Saudi Arabia--two very conservative Muslim countries--than there are men. And in fact, the Koran has nothing at all to say about education for women (and very little to say about education for men, other than studying the Koran). So who's to rule on whether the Taliban is right or the Saudis and the Iranians are right on the subject? Answer: Whoever has the power to enforce the rules.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/25/16 08:06 AM.