For a large number if years I have observed the pattern tests run in the American Rifleman when they tested a new model gun. I have thus observed a lot more of these than actually doing tests of my own. They have consistently used a pattern which contained a 30" circle & an inner circle of 21" (49% of the 30") & this divided into 4 quarters. All patterning has been done at the traditional 40 yds. The one thing I have noted is the tighter chokes producing patterns of around 70% typically have a higher concentration of that pattern in the inner circle. regardless of choke it is always more than half.
On a well centered hit the tight choke will give much greater range for adequate killing power but is of course surrounded by a large area with insufficient density of shot.
As I view it this would be the exact opposite of what Brister's wife said. The open chokes will give you a wider spread of adequate density at shorter ranges but will play out much closer to the same range than will the full. Even a IC choke will maintain density further on a centered hit than on the fringes but is not as drastically so as the full.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra