David,
The thread I used was white silk which became clear when the coating was applied. I had wrapped rods in the past (glass and graphite) with heavier nylon but never with silk. Despite being thinner it was strong with no breaks. The big advantage of invisible wraps is not just the thread is invisible, but any gaps and overlaps between windings are also invisible. I did my best, avoided gaps and over wraps and also burnished which really wasn't necessary. About half the class opted for the single foot as opposed to the snake guides. Those that chose snakes were grumbling at their choice two hours into the step. Having wrapped rods before I knew what we were up against as it is tedious and precise and we had to get through the task by 4 pm that day so that the wraps could be coated. I've never wrapped a rod completely in one day as I always gave it a break and spread it out over a few days. The true colors of personalities surfaced as the air turned blue with curses, mutters and groans as the frustrations of rod wrapping, especially the snake wrappers and those who chose colors, became apparent, such as pulling the loop without the winding thread, cutting the windings instead of the tag, etc. Gil