Tamid, I appreciate your mentioning ethics. There seems a big difference between hunters and anglers concerning sustainability and sportsmanship. I've been involved in both as advocate for a stronger ethic for waterfowl and the noble Atlantic salmon.

A couple years ago I addressed American donors to the Atlantic Salmon Federation in Washington on keeping salmon around as long as possible. The fish are doomed, endangered now, facing extirpation and extinction while catch-and-release result in estimated four- to six-per cent mortality.

Twenty-five years ago, I presided, in a sense, over destruction of one of the world's greatest fisheries for cod off Canada's East Cast, as executive director of the Fishing Masters Association representing East Coast deep-water trawler captains. They told me all fishermen steal; it was close to truth.

A lot of factors relate to "management" other than human pressure. I believe a stronger ethic of sustainability and sportsmanship should be part of it. There are so many brook trout here the daily limit is 10, year-round. Taking limits because we can is unreasonable to a growing constituency here.

The day, a dog attending preferably, should be enough, a modest bag a premium.