A collective angst, dal. I'm sick of the waste, the waste. Sky-bustin', shooting from edges of open water from blinds in the lee, any wind offshore, no way of retrieve, no boat, no dog. Waterfowling to me is all about the dog.

I've been at it for 75 years and my general observation is that a majority of hunters are slobs and the poachers I hunted with (in season) in early years went to extremes to get their birds because of their subsistence living. It was just done.

I grew up in a fishing village. Wildfowl were a staple. My relatives and neighbours were poachers, sold ducks for $2 a pair. When I lived there an orange in a stocking was eagerly anticipated for Christmas day.

We stripped to to our skins to fetch a duck when we didn't have a boat while hunting along lakes, and spent the best shooting hours after daybreak on open water, rowing after cripples, if we didn't have a dog.

I've never seen a warden afield in all my hunting or fishing. I've never seen purposeful over-limits. Wardens aren't needed if the old poachers' ethic applied within our seasons. I proselytize with buddies, "For god's sake, get a dog."