It looks like an in the wood, oil type of finish. That makes hiding it tough. If you do a built up, on top of the wood finish you can make it disappear completely. I have played around with blending the two types of finish with the built up area being over the repair. It works reasonably well. You end up adding a lighter color pigment to your finish and applying it heavier in the area of repair than the other areas. Many coats of finish and not getting the pigment too thick helps. Pro-custom works well in this type of repair. I have started using an air brush for this process. A lacquer carries the pigment and is sealed in place by the Pro-custom. It takes quite a bit of playing with but I am very encouraged that an extremely high quality repair can be accomplished. I am currently in the final stages of a stock repair where I inlet a 5" piece of wood to the comb of a rifle in order to remove an old leather cheek piece. Almost done and it looks great so far. Tons of work involved in that process though. Hopes that helps.
Steve

Last edited by SKB; 12/19/18 09:17 AM.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns