WBLDon,
This is somewhat confusing, can you show "word for word" what you were informed? In German, the word "oder" means "or", so I think they may be referring to 16.5 as bullet weight rather than powder charge. A powder charge of 16.5 grams would be 254.6 grains, which greatly exceeds the capacity of a 9.3x74R case. The 286 grain softpoint( 18.5 gram TM) was a more or less "standard bullet", but the 258 grain H jacket copper covered hollow point( 16.7 gram HMK) was a very popular and very often used bullet. Reading between the lines, I think someone was telling you that the rifle will shoot with either the 18.5 g TM, or the 16.7g HMK (note: Germans use , instead of . in writing numbers). Especially if it is an O/U, this makes sense to me. When I first got my O/U 9.3x74R double barrel set, regulated for 293 grain Torpedo Universal bullet( 19.0 g TUG); I shot a group with 2 rounds each with 19 g TUG, 18.5 g TM, 16.7g HMK, and a handload with 18.5g Norma SP. The composite group at 100 meters would have been acceptable to hunt with( Red Deer size game). From a SXS double, I have no experience with different bullet weights.
Mike