In WW11- in both TO's--the Springfield 1903 and the variant 1903-A-4 (mainly produced by Remington)-- were the principal .30 M-1 cal. sniper rifles- but as the war was winding down- a few M1-D Garands appeared- they saw greater usage in the Korean Conflict--

The biggest "problem" the armorers encountered was getting an accurate scope mounting on the Garand-which was never designed for a scope- (same thing for the 1903)--

My M-1D sniper rifle was a USMC issue in Korea- Springfield Armory production- star gauged barrel 10X scope (no-vari-power) and it has the muzzle "cone" flash suppressor.

A few years ago, son-in-law and yours truly were on a private 200 yard range-with the M-1D- when a "County Mounty" stopped by (most likely looking for guys with full "rock and roll AK-47's) and when he saw the M1-D-- with the flash suppressor, he told me I had an "illegal weapon"- with a silencer--

I told him to lay down on the ground, head under the front of the bench, and listen for the 'silence" when I touched off a round--

He declined, turned out he was never in military service-- but I guess he believed me-- My M-1D is close to a MOA weapon with 172 grain Ball ammo-- but the trigger pull is nothing like you would find on a "tuned" 1903- IMO!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/10/19 07:28 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..