Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Stan

Given that double rifles are relatively close range weapons, I don't know that ejectors would enable one to get off 3rd or 4th shots at a charging lion, rhino, elephant etc if the first 2 didn't do the job.

You may not know it, but several professional hunters, and clients who have hunted multiple countries in Africa, think differently than you. As for me, I have no personal experience, as I said earlier. Wouldn't you think that the closer the dangerous game is the more valuable two seconds saved in reloading to be?

SRH

Well Stan, the information posted in this thread seems to indicate that there are opinions on either side of the ejector question. Having shot driven birds in Scotland on several occasions, I can certainly see their value in that situation. But then those birds aren't going to kill you. It's simply a question of being able to shoot at more of them than you would with extractors. But having watched people shoot double rifles, both in person and on films and videos, it's quite clear that you don't get off the first two shots as quickly with one of those as you can with a shotgun--mainly because of the recovery time from 1st shot to 2nd shot due to the significantly greater recoil of a "stopping rifle". And given that shots with double rifles will almost always be within 100 yards (more often less), it's not going to take a charging lion, buffalo, elephant etc all that long to cover the distance between you and the oncoming beast.

Personally, I think I'd rely more on the PH who's with me and whatever he's carrying if my 2 shots don't do the job. I'd focus my efforts on being able to get off two accurate shots as quickly as possible. But I remain open to being convinced that ejectors would provide much of an advantage over extractors.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/18/19 08:05 AM.