Today I finally got around to getting pout Taylor's book, African Rifles & Cartridges". I have the NRA Classic Firearms Library Special Edition, copyright 1995.
The original edition was published by Samworth with a 1948 copyright date. Ejectors were discussed on pages 29 & 30 if you have a copy of either. In a condensed version, keep in mind "Pondora" was an Ivory Hunter, not a "Sportsman per se. When he found a large herd of Elephants, he was not intending to shoot just "One". As he was hunting at a later date than Bell & some others he was mostly hunting in heavy Brush or cover, rather than open Grassland. He still tried to find the "Lead" bull & drop it with one shot.
The noise of a Big gun Booming 9in the cover was difficult to pinpoint & the rest of the herd would sort of loll around waiting on the lead bull to sound the alarm if needed, not realizing he was Dead. It was desirable to Reload that first barrel before trying for the next animal & this needed to be done in complete silence. His practice was to open the gun, remove the fired empty & drop it in a pocket, then reload the chamber & close the gun while holding the top lever so nothing Snapped shut to make a noise. The sound of ejectors pinging or the cartridge case ringing from striking something solid would normally send the herd stampeding out of the area. By following this above practice he stated he could often kill several Elephants all in the same general location without further tracking & also convenient for the Skinners & Ivory harvesters. "IF" actually charged after the shot he said it mattered little if one had ejectors or not, their life depended on that One Shot left in the gun, which was the reason for reloading after the one shot before taking on another. Made sense to me, but as I previously stated my experience at Dangerous Game is a Big Fat Zero/0.

One thing he strongly believed was that a hunter of Dangerous Game should have ALL his rifles similarly equipped, He did not believe in having one with a single trigger & another with double triggers nor one with ejectors & another with extractors, & he was thoroughly convinced a Dangerous Game rifle SHOULD NOT have an Automatic Safety.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra